none
Hyper-V Host Level backup of Sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a question regarding Sharepoint backup.   We have a Sharepoint 2010 server with a SQL 2008 server backend.  Both servers are virtual running on a Hyper-V cluster and residing on a CSV.  We use DPM 2010.

We are doing Sharepoint level backups with a DPM 2010 agent installed on the Sharepoint WFE to give us Item Level Recovery.

I'm looking at also doing a weekly VM level backup purely for faster disaster recovery of the entire server.   Have done some reading and have found a reference quoting :

"Do not use the Hyper-V snapshot feature on virtual servers that are connected to a SharePoint Products and Technologies server farm. The timer servers that SharePoint uses might become unsynchronized during the snapshot process, and once the snapshot is finished, errors or inconsistencies can arise."

Is doing a Hyper-V host level backup of the entire VM going to cause an issue? 

Dave Read

Thursday, March 29, 2012 2:28 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I have a question regarding Sharepoint backup.   We have a Sharepoint 2010 server with a SQL 2008 server backend.  Both servers are virtual running on a Hyper-V cluster and residing on a CSV.  We use DPM 2010.

We are doing Sharepoint level backups with a DPM 2010 agent installed on the Sharepoint WFE to give us Item Level Recovery.

I'm looking at also doing a weekly VM level backup purely for faster disaster recovery of the entire server.   Have done some reading and have found a reference quoting :

"Do not use the Hyper-V snapshot feature on virtual servers that are connected to a SharePoint Products and Technologies server farm. The timer servers that SharePoint uses might become unsynchronized during the snapshot process, and once the snapshot is finished, errors or inconsistencies can arise."

Is doing a Hyper-V host level backup of the entire VM going to cause an issue? 

Dave Read

Hi Dave,

Adding VM level backup sounds like a good plan. You should not have any issues here. DPM will do an online backup of your VM as long as you have Hyper-V Integration Services installed. Check out MVP Robert Hedblom's blog post on Offline and Online VM protection with DPM.

http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com/2011/06/offline-vs-online-backup-of-hyper-v.html

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:25 PM