Problem Deploying Custom Windows 7 image (install.wim) in WDS RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings to all,

I'm getting a problem in WDS, When I try to add the install.wim image to WDS it throws an error like this ( The File does not contain a valid image file )

and same I tried with PS and that gives me a error like this ( An Install image could not be found in the image file ), Please help me to resolve the issue.

Note : The image I was trying to upload is custom created with pre installed software, I followed the instruction given in the link ( https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/72031-create-windows-10-iso-image-existing-installation.html ). I created install.wim from vhdx file.. And I'm able to do the following..

1) Mounted the wim using dism without any error

2) Created iso and tried to install Windows in both hyper-v and physical machine. I can able to install without any error including all SW I wanted..

But when I try to add it to WDS its not working.. But I'm able to import un-modified install.wim from iso or DVD

Monday, September 4, 2017 12:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To customize install image, I suggest you firstly create capture boot image, then boot a pre-customized, syspreped and shutdown system (Windows 7 system in your case) with the captured boot image, then follow the Windows Deployment Services Image Capture Wizard to capture install image and load it into WDS server.

You may check detailed steps within the blog below:

How to Capture Image and Deploy Image using WDS Server 2012 R2

http://www.itingredients.com/how-to-capture-image-and-deploy-image-using-wds/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Feel free to let us know if further assistance is required during the process.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Li Long Wednesday, September 6, 2017 7:08 AM
    Tuesday, September 5, 2017 3:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To customize install image, I suggest you firstly create capture boot image, then boot a pre-customized, syspreped and shutdown system (Windows 7 system in your case) with the captured boot image, then follow the Windows Deployment Services Image Capture Wizard to capture install image and load it into WDS server.

You may check detailed steps within the blog below:

How to Capture Image and Deploy Image using WDS Server 2012 R2

http://www.itingredients.com/how-to-capture-image-and-deploy-image-using-wds/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Feel free to let us know if further assistance is required during the process.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Li Long Wednesday, September 6, 2017 7:08 AM
    Tuesday, September 5, 2017 3:17 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, I would like to know whether I can capture image from hyper-v machine..
    Tuesday, September 5, 2017 5:53 AM