none
Baseline Work Issues, Very Frustrating RRS feed

• Question

• Gang,

I have a 5K line MS Project schedule with seven levels of WBS.  The schedule was resource loaded at 5-7 prior to baselining.

For a handful of tasks, maybe 10%, a task that was resource loaded is not showing any baseline work.  I've compared this to other similar tasks and similar resources.  They are fine.

Effort Driven vs. non-effort driven, constraint vs no constraint.  Nothing seems particularly unique to these tasks.

Typically, if I go in and either change the resource or change their % (doesn't work if you use the same percentage) it will then populate and work. I can then go back and put the original in.

Anyone understand the issue?  I've also rebaselined and re-calculated.  Doesn't make a difference. 

With this many lines, it will be cumbersome and prone to errors to update manually.  Additionally, without understanding the issue, I fear it will happen again and skew the metrics I'm developing.

Thank you.

Monday, April 1, 2019 4:25 PM

All replies

• thesuperzman,

First of all, what version of Project are you using? Is it fully updated? Note, if you are using a subscription form of Project, (e.g. Project 365 or Project Online), it is updated automatically.

How exactly do you set the baseline?

If you clear the baseline and then re-baseline, do all the tasks show work and baseline work? If not, is it the same set of tasks that fail to show a baseline?

Are all your tasks auto-scheduled?

John

Monday, April 1, 2019 4:46 PM
  • Office 365 and updated automatically.

I'm using the 'set baseline' feature. But I notice even with 'work' it's not showing up.

I've tried clearing the baseline and re-entering it.  To know avail.  Yes, all tasks are auto-scheduled.

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 1:22 AM
  • thesuperzman,

May I assume that you are using Project 365 (Project is a separate app and not a part of Office 365)?

So according to your second paragraph, when you assign resources to the tasks in question there is no work in the Work field. Is that correct? If so, then I have to ask, exactly how are you assigning resources?

If there is no data in the Work field, then there will be no data in the Baseline Work field since the latter is copied from the former when you set a baseline.

John

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 1:32 AM
  • Yes - Project 365.  Though the original schedule may have been created in 2016.

Specifically how? Utilizing 'Resource Name' and applying a percentage of their time.

The perplexing thing isn't the issue happening. The perplexing part is hit happens on a very nominal amount activities and nothing is overtly unique to them, compared to the other tasks.  The only consistencies are:

1. I have about 10 resources.  Only 3 show this issue. But 90% of those 3 resources apply properly.

And actually, I think that's the only consistency.

- I can change a resource with the same percentage and work populates

- I can change a percentage and keep the same resource and the work populates

- I can create a new task and it populates correctly.

Again, fixed duration activities.  Resource 'build-up' is consistent with the other resources.  FYI - no cost is applied anywhere.

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 3:24 PM
  • thesuperzman,

Although you can assign resources by direct entry into the Resource Names field, that is not the preferred approach. Instead I recommend using the Assign Resources window found under Resource > Assignments > Assign Resources or via the Task Form or "Resources" tab of the Task Information window.

I assume you are not working with a resource pool, correct? It shouldn't matter but it makes things a little more complex with a resource pool.

Also, it shouldn't matter if the schedule was originally created in Project 2016 and then converted to Project 365 but somewhere along the line the file may have developed some corruption. I suggest you try saving the file to XML and then re-open the XML file in Project. Note, you will lose any custom formatting with this process. Do the resource assignments, as entered per the above method, now work properly (i.e. Work field is populated upon assignment)?

John
    Tuesday, April 2, 2019 4:36 PM
  • John.

Sorry I've gotten side-tracked trying to find work-arounds. I'll give your suggestions a try. I do have pools setup, but they aren't being used.  The biggest problem is my scheduler who developed this schedule left.  Honestly, he didn't understand project very well and probably created some issues.

My new scheduler is much better but she's a mid-level project user and this is a senior-project user issue.

I've heard about the XML solution, but can't get it to export. Will try again.

Thanks for the update.

Thursday, April 4, 2019 2:51 PM
  • John

Going forward, I'll ensure we will use "Assign Resources". Thing seem to work well that way.

However, it's these 100 some odd tasks out of 300K that already have a problem and I hope to find a consistent and somewhat easy fix.  Interestingly, nothing works to fix the issue except removing the resource and re-adding.

My problem, with an auditing background, is that leaves a lot of room open for error. Not to mention it's time consuming.  Separate, but just as important is the 'why' did this happen.  So that I ensure that I'm not missing anything and will not re-create the situation in the future.

I'm an Excel geek - and there is very little quirky I've ever found with Excel in 20 years. I'm getting the feeling that Project is much more quickly with some significant issues? Or is that just a lay person's opinion because I'm not that fully deep in the Project realm?

Thanks.

Thursday, April 4, 2019 2:59 PM
  • Microsoft Project is not Microsoft Excel. And Microsoft Excel is not Microsoft Project.

Microsoft Excel is like a "blank sheet of paper" that you program as you see fit.

Microsoft Project is a an implementation of the Critical Path Project calculation.  You input your project's logic/definition and Project computes a schedule (via reports, Gantt Chart display, etc.) based on what you tell it.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Thursday, April 4, 2019 3:38 PM
  • thesuperzman,

Indeed Project is not nearly as user friendly as Excel and therefore for new or casual users Project can be rather challenging. And yes, there are glitches and quirks in Project that have been present for years and will likely never be "fixed". However most of them occur only in "fringe" scenarios that few users will ever encounter.

What happens exactly when you try to save as XML? If it doesn't work, that's a pretty good indication that something is corrupt. I suggest you take a look at the following Wiki article and try all three methods.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/32054.ms-project-clearing-file-corruption-andor-bloat.aspx.

Let me know how that works.

John

Thursday, April 4, 2019 3:42 PM