none
influence number of concurrent "access" jobs to storage pool volume RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a large environment and the current SAN which is used as DPM storage pool is quite busy. Therefor I have to determine how many jobs will open a connection to the SAN volume where the storage pool of DPM is located. Is there any way to do that from within DPM?

I am asking because in the following scenario DPM has to give certain jobs a priority. For example I have several backups running. 8 concurrent connection are allowed to the volume on the SAN where the storage pool is located. All 8 connections are used for backups. Now I have to start a "recvovery" job. I know that DPM will cancel any backup jobs of the datasource I want to restore. So DPM gives a "restore" job a higher priority then a backup job. BUT what is going to happen with the connection jobs to the SAN. DPM would have to tell those jobs that a high priority connection has to be established. So one of those 8 concurrent connections which are used for backups right now has to be stoped or put in "pending" state and the "restore" connection job to the SAN has to be given highest priority so that it is able to access the storage pool and restore the data.

Is there any way to do that? I know of other Backup tools where this is possible but I couldn't find anyhting like that in DPM GUI nor in the powershell. Are there any other ways to do that?

Friday, March 8, 2013 10:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

<snip>

8 concurrent connection are allowed to the volume on the SAN where the storage pool is located.

>snip<

DPM support 300 data sources which would create 600 Volumes on the SAN attached disk(s) in the storage pool. In theory, dpm could be reading /writing to any or all of them simultaneously.  So who or what is artificially limiting IO to 8 - I have never heard of such a restriction to a SAN before.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 8, 2013 1:53 PM