PAS 6.3 Install with Performance Point Server & x64 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all,

I'm trying to install PAS 6.3 onto our Windows 2003 x64 bit server. However it seems that IIS must be configured in x86 bit mode in order for PAS to install. Is there any way around this? We already use SSRS 2005, WSS 3.0 and Performance Point all in 64 bit mode and I don't want to have to re-install or reconfigure all of these applications.

Can anyone suggest any solutions?

Thanks

Matt

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 11:46 AM

Answers

• Hi Matt,

ProClarity is a 32bit application and in order to function it requires IIS to be run in 32bit mode.  Unfortunately it's not possible to have ProClarity and applications that require IIS to be run in 64bit mode to run on the same server.  The only alternative is to run the 32bit versions of the software that uses IIS or have ProClarity installed on another machine.

Hope this helps,

Sean

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 2:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Matt,

ProClarity is a 32bit application and in order to function it requires IIS to be run in 32bit mode.  Unfortunately it's not possible to have ProClarity and applications that require IIS to be run in 64bit mode to run on the same server.  The only alternative is to run the 32bit versions of the software that uses IIS or have ProClarity installed on another machine.

Hope this helps,

Sean

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 2:40 PM
  • Sean,

Thanks for your help. Given that I have Performance Point, Sharepoint Services 3.0 and SQL Reporting Services all installed and running in 64-bit, can you advise me on what I'd need to do get them into 32 bit mode so I can also use PAS?

As I understand it the issue is that IIS needs to be in 32 mode for PAS, but to get PPS, WSS and SSRS to also run their web components in this mode, would I need to re-install or do you think or can I re-configure?

Thank you again,

Matt

Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:30 AM
  • Hi Matt,

I know for a fact that SSRS 64bit cannot run in 32bit mode on IIS.  The only option for that application would be to install the 32bit version.  You might want to post inquiries on the SharePoint and PPS forums about options for running the applications in 32bit mode and how to configure them.  I know WSS 2.0 had this ability after SP2 but after a quick search I didn't find anything indicating WSS 3.0 could do this.  If you install PAS and IIS is switched over to 32bit emulation, any program and requires IIS to run in 64bit mode (like SSRS) isn't going to work. 

Sean
    Thursday, January 10, 2008 3:26 PM
  • My understanding is that the 32-bit version of PerformancePoint Server will not install on a 64-bit machine.  Therefore, your best solution is to either have a seperate, 32-bit machine for PAS, or to host a virtual environment on the 64-bit machine in which you can run PAS as a 32-bit application.

Friday, January 11, 2008 12:17 AM
  • We currently have a 64 bit win 2003 with SSMS 2005 64 bit, SSRS 2005 64 bit, SSAS 2005 64 bit, MOSS 2007 64 bit and PPS 2007 64 bit.

Since Pro Clarity 6.3 is ONLY in 32 bit, we had to install Pro Clarity 6.3 on another web server and setup Kerberos Authentication so the Pro Clarity 6.3 books connect to the 64 bit Win 2003 Server SSAS 64 bit Cubes.

PPS 2007 curent version doesn't offer the Analytics Component that Pro Clarity 6.3 offiers. This is supposed to be released in the next version of PPS 2007.

Friday, January 11, 2008 7:21 PM
  • Thank you for your help everyone!

Matt

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 8:38 AM
  • Helo, all.

We are running on into the same issue because we have SSMS 2005, SSRS, SSAS, Sharepoint 3.0, and PPS all 64 bit on VM instance. We are in a bit of quandry and some staff want to uninstall all the above 64bit software and reinstall as 32bit. Others want to keep VM instance on development as 64bit and put ProClarity PAS and IIS on another VM instance with 32bit. So, we can keep proceeding down the road with 64bit processing, etc.

Questions and Help or Opinions is greatly appreciated.

1. Based on the what I stated up above does anyone agree or disagree with multiple VM instances running 32bit and 64bit? Can we have many VM instances running?

2. We want to use PAS integration with PPS so, can we still do this in Prod with VM instance or 2 servers one 32bit and the other 64bit?

3. We are still learning PPS and ProClarity so, one of the questions is it worth it to have PAS when we have PPS can we use briefing books saved in PAS and pull them over to PPS for example or what and how does PAS integrate with PPS?

4. Last but not least; When is PAS going to 64bit or when is PAS going to be totally integrated with PPS 64bit or will we always need PAS??

Thank you for your help.

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:34 PM
  • Hi,

Along these lines, I have a question.  We are building a couple new VM PAS servers to reside in our DMZ for QA and Prod.  We will be using 6.2xx.  Is there any issues with having win2003 x64 in running PAS/PDS 6.2xxx as long as we run IIS in 32bit?  These servers are strickly only PAS/PDS servers.  The OLAP server they will be connecting to will also be x64(don't know if that matter or not if it was x64 or x86).

Any concerns for us going this route with that version,etc... or leveraging PPS down the road?

Thanks,

Friday, April 25, 2008 2:03 PM
  • I would recommend using 6.3.x if possible and getting the latest hot fix packages from download.microsoft.com.  Looks like you should be good in terms of supported OSs for 6.2.x.  I don't see any problems with your configuration.  When you install on x64, I highly recommend installing while logged in as the local administrator user - not a domain user who is in the local admin group.  I would also log in as this local admin user after rebooting during the install. 

From the 6.2.x requirements.pdf:

Microsoft Windows Server

2003 (Standard, Web,

Enterprise Editions), SP1,

32-bit, 64-bit on x64

-Joey

Friday, April 25, 2008 4:37 PM
  • Any huge issues if we stay with a 32 bit OS(win2003) VM on the x64 server along with our 6.2xxx installation?  Any Scaling up issues regarding RAM, etc...)

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 2:19 PM
  • I think we are going with x64 for os on VM running x86 for ISS since the PAS/PDS is only thing we will have running on the VM server.  Seems this is ok, does anyone see any issues?  Also, any huge isses with going to 6.3xxx from 6.2xxxx, does 6.3 work against the 6.2xxx db repositories fine?  Since our current prod/dev is 6.2xx and we are wanting to build our new VM(Prod/QA) with 6.3 in which the new VM Prod will replace our current prod, we are a little nervous on the impacts and are looking at how to test 6.3 out at same time we build the new boxes.  One issue we have is with the web professional package and if someone accesses the 6.3, etc... Is there a way to get a client up with web prof. 6.3 without installing the package on the server?  This way we could test it out from a client pc?

Appreciate any insight, feedback, guidance or answers.

Thanks

Thursday, May 8, 2008 5:15 PM
  • NTS,

1.  If I understand your question correctly - I agree that you can run multiple VM instances.  Some can be 32 and others 64.  This might be a good way to get the compatibility and performance of both.  Yes, you can run many VM instances.  But, the only VM software that I know of which runs x64 guest OSs is Hyper-V on Windows Server 2008.

2.  I'm would be leary of running your production boxes on guest VM instances at this point.  But, you should be able to do so if you want.  I believe PAS and PPS will interact as needed if on separate instances.

3.  PPS can serve up pre-existing PAS views in a zone.

4.  PAS will never be 64 bit, nor totally integrated with PPS.  PPS will continue to get new features that replace and enhance PAS functionality but that is down the road. 

-Joey

Thursday, May 8, 2008 8:14 PM
  •  

sbaldwin,

I don't see any major issues - however performance is based on many factors other than those you've listed.  PAS and the OS being 32 bit will use all four GB of RAM that you can give VM guest.  This is definitely an area where you will want to run some testing.   

-Joey

Thursday, May 8, 2008 8:16 PM
  • I think this is a good plan.  6.3 will connect and use a 6.2 DB and it will ask for you to select that DB during setup.  6.3 is more disk performance limited in certain circumstances than 6.2 due to increased security from the Microsoft security requirements that have been built in.  If you're scaled up and maxed out on performance on one VM, you next option would be to scale out one more box to handle more requests. 

When upgrading a PAS server, I suggest - after testing, and educating users - updating PAS from 6.2 to 6.3 and then publishing the 6.3 Web Pro to the new 6.3 PAS.  Make this a required download before users can open Web Pro.  This is all available via the Admin Tool.

6.3 Web Pro can be distributed via a file share or SMS and does not have to be distributed via PAS Components. 

-Joey

Thursday, May 8, 2008 8:21 PM
  • Appreciate all the good insight.  I guess I'm leaning on proceding with building the new boxes with 6.2 and then start testing with 6.3 and before we go live we may or may not upgrade prod, etc.. to 6.3.  Sounds the safest.

Also, If IIS needs to run x86, and the box is only used for PAS/PDS, is there any need(for the headaches) to put OSx64 on the VM instance?  What's the upside if any for possible headaches of having the OS 64bit??  I'm having a hard time justifying the OS being 64bit.  Can anyone shed light on that for me???

Friday, May 9, 2008 1:42 AM