none
General Failure. The URL was:....Class not registered RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello All,

I've got a weird situation here...I have a 32bit win7 enterprise machine that will not open any links in the body of Outlook.  it will open up just fine if i click on a link from Word.  If i set Chrome as the default browser, that works as well.  I need IE to be the default because most of the business apps work in IE. 

I've uninstalled IE by going into Windows Features and removing it, rebooting, adding it back and rebooted. Same issue.

Set IE as default browser. same issue

upgraded from IE 8 to IE 9, same issue

Ran repair on Office, same issue.

removed Office, and then ran a office 2010 removal program. rebooted, loaded office back and tried, same issue.

Tried various different registry changes, same issue.

Any help to get to a resolution would be Greatly appreciated.

Side note... i did do a little hack that may have caused this whole issue....Upgraded Windows 7 Pro sp1 to Windows 7 Ent sp1. seems like since then links do not work when clicking on them from outlook.  BUT this is not my machine and im not sure what the user may have done between doing that upgrade and this issue.  everything else works just fine! and we have numerous other machines we did this upgrade to and they do not have this issue!

HELP!  Thanks

Will

Sunday, June 16, 2013 9:22 PM

All replies

• will not open any links in the body of Outlook

Security/obscurity?  Is the author of the message in your Trusted accounts list (or whatever the appropriate terminology is for that concept in Outlook)?   If not it could explain why you would not want to use random links.   An Outlook forum may have a more informed comment.

FWIW I have seen this myself but never stopped to analyze it.  IIRC right-click Copy Shortcut at least works.  (E.g. it can't be that disruptive otherwise I would have had to stop and try to figure out how to make it do something useful for me. <eg>)

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, June 17, 2013 4:18 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Robert,

The right-click Copy works, but of course that is an inconvenience for the user and he wants it back the way it used to work.  The author of the message isnt a problem.  Even our Intranet links in Outlook do not work for him. (this is how he found the issue)

Using Chrome as the default is working for now, but he wants it back to IE as the Default.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Monday, June 17, 2013 7:15 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest you to upgrade IE 9 to IE 10 and check the result.

Hope it helps.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:30 AM
  • Hi

Try and do the following:

Go to start - Control Panel - Default Programs - Set Associations

Once the Associations load locate the following protocols :

HTTP
    HTTPS

And make sure Internet Explorer is the current Default set on those protocols.

Let me know.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 3:08 PM
  • You can also do the following to test:

In the registry locate the following keys

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.html

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html

Change the default value of the .html key in both locations from Chromehtml to htmlfile.

Do the same for the following keys if they exist

.htm and .shtml

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 3:16 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions. Rockafella247, I tried those registry keys and the defaults as well before, no Dice.  I will try the upgrade from IE 9 to 10 Tracy.  I think there is a GPO that blocks IE 10....but i'll double check.  I'll have to find out what applications he runs using IE to make sure they will be compatiable with IE 10 as well...

thanks,

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:12 PM
  • We are having this exact issue with a client, were you able to find a resolution? we also upgraded in teh same manner that you had.
    Friday, December 20, 2013 8:37 PM
  • Windows profile is maybe corrupt.

Login with your account on the users machine, create a new outlook profile with the users details on your profile and see if you can open links on email. if it works, then recreate the Windows profile

Thursday, January 30, 2014 6:32 AM
  • The below fixed it for me. 

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1034357488-2067699367-808317310-3990\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlAssociations\http]

delete everything in http and that should reset it.

EVERYONES SID will be different.
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 1:27 PM