none
GPO suddenly stopped working

Question

• Hi,

I've had a group policy running for months that sets our users Chrome home page to our company Intranet page. Our users use Citrix desktop but the principal is the same.  This week it has decided not to work for new users and when ever they open Chrome it's as if it's start from the begging as no settings have been set, current users are fine.

If I run a GP results it says the GPO is applied, not sure what to do next, any ideas as everything looks ok?

Thanks

Friday, July 31, 2015 7:12 AM

Answers

• Strange, I just deleted the GPO and created a new one exactly the same and it seems to be ok so far...

I have another issue with IE11/GPO where it doesn't save users username/passwords on sites etc, will open a new post.

Friday, July 31, 2015 10:49 AM

All replies

• Has Chrome been updated in this time period?
    Maybe the Chrome admin template has an update needed, if Google have changed how Chrome handles that setting?

Are there other settings within your Chrome policy which are still effective?

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, July 31, 2015 7:46 AM
  • Hi,

Do you see any error event logs on your client machines regarding group policy? Can you enable GPO logging on one of the client machine and upload the log from where we can download?

To enable logging in the Gpsvc.log file, follow these steps.

1. Click Start , click Run , type regedit , and then click OK .

2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

3. On the Edit menu, point to New , and then click Key .

4. Type Diagnostics , and then press ENTER.

5. Right-click the Diagnostics subkey, point to New , and then click DWORD Value .

6. Type GPSvcDebugLevel , and then press ENTER.

7. Right-click GPSvcDebugLevel , and then click Modify .

8. In the Value data box, type 0x30002 , and then click OK .

9. Exit Registry Editor.

10. At a command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

gpupdate /force

11. View the Gpsvc.log file in the following folder:

%windir%\debug\usermode

-Umesh.S.K

Friday, July 31, 2015 7:50 AM
  • Hi Chrome is on the latest version, seems to updated automatically.

I just made a change to add the "home" button to users bar at the top and that appeared ok.

Friday, July 31, 2015 8:32 AM
  • Hi Chrome is on the latest version, seems to updated automatically.

I just made a change to add the "home" button to users bar at the top and that appeared ok.

Are you setting: HomePageLocation?
    Or: RestoreOnStartup=4 + RestoreOnStartupURLs ? https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=346967

https://pdtechguru.wordpress.com/2012/09/25/google-chrome-group-policy/

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/306774-setting-our-intranet-page-as-home-page-on-chrome-already-done-on-ie 
    [see the comment by markstone3 29 Apr 2015]

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, July 31, 2015 9:51 AM
  • Strange, I just deleted the GPO and created a new one exactly the same and it seems to be ok so far...

I have another issue with IE11/GPO where it doesn't save users username/passwords on sites etc, will open a new post.

Friday, July 31, 2015 10:49 AM