Disabling Windows 10 time lock screen RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I'm trying to figure out how to disable the very first window that displays the time on Windows 10. I have to keep sliding it up or pressing a key to get to the login screen and I would like to just have the login screen displayed like the old systems did. It seems to be asleep with that window so I would like to just disable this but can't find the correct way to do this. I can't find any options either. Thanks.

Monday, November 2, 2015 9:24 PM

Answers

• Thanks guys.  I finally tried this out. For the first suggestion, there was no personalization so I then followed the geek page that was posted and that works. But I found out that after setting the automatic screen saver lock for 5 minutes, the computer did not lock itself. I then tried one minute and it worked. Then I moved the mouse another time after the screen saver and I then got that blank screen as another posted suggested before the login screen showed up. So even though it kind of works it seems to still go through that process instead of actually being like the old systems that just showed you the login screen right after you woke it up. So actually changing it doesn't really change much, it just makes the first page not appear if you will as it pauses for a bit until it finds or does whatever it needs, and then it shows you the login screen. Yes this is sort of what I wanted to do. I still have to wait for that login screen to come up which is what I was trying to avoid. I guess I'll just put the clock back up since it does the same thing without the clock. Pretty annoying to keep having to do this on a desktop computer though. Good luck finding that option in the group policy though. I have no idea where that would be.Here's what I saw when I opened the windows. So it's hard to tell where the option was until I followed the geek link above.

• Edited by Vmech Saturday, November 7, 2015 10:39 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Deason Wu Tuesday, November 10, 2015 1:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Monday, November 23, 2015 2:07 AM
    Saturday, November 7, 2015 10:33 PM

All replies

• According to this post on tenforums - http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6567-lock-screen-enable-disable-windows-10-a.html#option2 - we have a registry setting that can be configured to prevent the lock screen from showing... I've never tried it though.

reg file bits from above link reproduced here.  follow the link for a interactive how-to with gpedit (or how to use reg file option)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization

NoLockScreen DWORD

0 or delete = enable
    1 = disable

Monday, November 2, 2015 9:49 PM
  • Thanks, but I like to keep the actual lock screen for security, I just don't like that first window that I have to keep moving to wake the computer up every time I want to log in. I was also hoping for something more simple and no registry hack just to get that working. I know they had that in a preview I think it was. I saw a picture of it where you could just go to the personalize section and tell it to disable that. I may be wrong but you know what I mean.
    Monday, November 2, 2015 10:14 PM
  • Hi. I'm trying to figure out how to disable the very first window that displays the time on Windows 10. I have to keep sliding it up or pressing a key to get to the login screen and I would like to just have the login screen displayed like the old systems did. It seems to be asleep with that window so I would like to just disable this but can't find the correct way to do this. I can't find any options either. Thanks.

Use this tutorial. It consists of 2 methods. The first one is the easiest.

http://www.howtogeek.com/134620/how-to-disable-the-lock-screen-on-windows-8-without-using-group-policy/

Monday, November 2, 2015 10:23 PM
  • using these methods to disable the "lock screen" doesn't stop you from needing to use a login/password to access windows.  it should just remove that time-lock-screen, or curtain.
    Monday, November 2, 2015 10:36 PM
  • using these methods to disable the "lock screen" doesn't stop you from needing to use a login/password to access windows.  it should just remove that time-lock-screen, or curtain.

The OP does not say he wants to bypass password screen and goes straight to desktop.

I don't see anywhere that says so.

That was what he said............. I just don't like that first window that I have to keep moving to wake the computer up every time I want to log in.

• Edited by david hk129 Monday, November 2, 2015 10:45 PM
    Monday, November 2, 2015 10:41 PM
  • Thanks, but I like to keep the actual lock screen for security, I just don't like that first window that I have to keep moving to wake the computer up every time I want to log in. I was also hoping for something more simple and no registry hack just to get that working. I know they had that in a preview I think it was. I saw a picture of it where you could just go to the personalize section and tell it to disable that. I may be wrong but you know what I mean.

Would you be happy with a blank or plain colour screen showing the time as your lock screen?

That option was introduced in Insider Build 10565 and will probably become standard through an update in due course. Is that what you were referring to?

Bill

Monday, November 2, 2015 10:54 PM

The OP does not say he wants to bypass password screen and goes straight to desktop.

I don't see anywhere that says so.

That was what he said............. I just don't like that first window that I have to keep moving to wake the computer up every time I want to log in.

He said this:

"Thanks, but I like to keep the actual lock screen for security, I just don't like that first window that I have to keep moving to wake the computer up every time I want to log in"

so it seems he thought that this setting would remove the security (login).  I was confirming that this didn't bypass the password :D

Monday, November 2, 2015 11:00 PM
  • Thanks guys.  I finally tried this out. For the first suggestion, there was no personalization so I then followed the geek page that was posted and that works. But I found out that after setting the automatic screen saver lock for 5 minutes, the computer did not lock itself. I then tried one minute and it worked. Then I moved the mouse another time after the screen saver and I then got that blank screen as another posted suggested before the login screen showed up. So even though it kind of works it seems to still go through that process instead of actually being like the old systems that just showed you the login screen right after you woke it up. So actually changing it doesn't really change much, it just makes the first page not appear if you will as it pauses for a bit until it finds or does whatever it needs, and then it shows you the login screen. Yes this is sort of what I wanted to do. I still have to wait for that login screen to come up which is what I was trying to avoid. I guess I'll just put the clock back up since it does the same thing without the clock. Pretty annoying to keep having to do this on a desktop computer though. Good luck finding that option in the group policy though. I have no idea where that would be.Here's what I saw when I opened the windows. So it's hard to tell where the option was until I followed the geek link above.

• Edited by Vmech Saturday, November 7, 2015 10:39 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Deason Wu Tuesday, November 10, 2015 1:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Monday, November 23, 2015 2:07 AM
    Saturday, November 7, 2015 10:33 PM