none
Accessing encrypted files with Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I recently purchased a new computer with Windows 7 on it, coming from XP.  I had all my photos, music, videos saved on a external harddrive.  When I plugged it in to my new computer, I noticed that some of the files were green, meaning they are encrypted...and pretty much making them useless as far as I can see.  I have ensured that I am the "owner" of the files, is there anything else I can do to access those files?  ANY help would be great!!! Thank you!
    Monday, January 2, 2012 4:51 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The only encryption function Windows XP has is EFS. The files' name is green, that means these files are encrypted by EFS.

If the original Windows XP is still existing, please decrypt them on Windows XP.

Also, please check whether you have recovery agent depolyed or the certificate is backed up?

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 9:47 AM
  • Hi,

It have to be the same computer with Windows XP. I mean the Windows XP used for encrypting these files.

Juke Chou

Thursday, January 5, 2012 1:54 AM

All replies

• Do you know what encryption software was used on the x-p machine,

I don't believe x-p had that ability, and it would of been a third party software possibly bundled in your software package from the manufacture.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 5:25 AM
  • Hi,

The only encryption function Windows XP has is EFS. The files' name is green, that means these files are encrypted by EFS.

If the original Windows XP is still existing, please decrypt them on Windows XP.

Also, please check whether you have recovery agent depolyed or the certificate is backed up?

Juke Chou

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 9:47 AM
  • Ok, so if I plug my harddrive back into the computer with XP, I can go to the properties on those encrypted files and decrypt them?  Yes, it is EFS. Thank you so much for the help!  Does it have to be the same computer with XP or any computer with the same version of XP?
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 10:39 PM
  • Hi,

It have to be the same computer with Windows XP. I mean the Windows XP used for encrypting these files.

Juke Chou

Thursday, January 5, 2012 1:54 AM