CRCDISK.SYS Headaches RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys.

I have searched the boards hi and low to get a resolution to this crcdisk.sys issue.

Here's the rundown.

Fresh install of Vista Ultimate on a server type box.

It's a rack mount with an Asus P5B-VM Rev. 1.01G, and an Intel 3065 Dual Core processor.

It has a 3ware SATA RAID array, that I disconnected, and everything else is on board.

Vista is being installed on a Hitachi TravelStar Sata drive, and I am using an LG USB Super Multi Drive.

It installs fine, with no issue. It sees the array after I loaded those drivers, but with the initial boot up after install, it hangs on the crcdisk.sys. I have updated the BIOS on the MB to the newest, non-beta from Asus's site, to no avail. After the install, I removed the DVD drive, and the RJ-45, after seeing what was in the previous threads on this problem.

Any help would be great, as I am ready to pull out my hair, and ship it to Billy Boy with a bill for my therapy bills.

-
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 3:51 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Before going any further, please refer to the Hyperlink http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/ to check the both hardware and driver compatibility and answer my questions below.

1. Did you install some extra hardware devices before the problem occurred?

2. Did you format the whole computer before installing Windows Vista OS on the Hitachi TravelStar Sata drive?

The problem might be caused by corruption of some system files. Since you are unable to get into the system in either safe mode or normal mode, you might perform the following steps to delete or rename those files.

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …" appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next

4. Click Repair your computer

5. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt

7. Navigate to c:\windows\system32\drivers\ and rename pcmcia.sys to pcmcia.old

8. Navigate to: c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\ and rename pcmcia.inf_xxxxxxxx to pcmcia.inf_xxxxxxxxold

9. Type "chkdsk /F C:" (without quotation marks) and click Enter.

10. Restart the computer and have a test.

Hope it works!

Thursday, September 11, 2008 9:27 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Before going any further, please refer to the Hyperlink http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/ to check the both hardware and driver compatibility and answer my questions below.

1. Did you install some extra hardware devices before the problem occurred?

2. Did you format the whole computer before installing Windows Vista OS on the Hitachi TravelStar Sata drive?

The problem might be caused by corruption of some system files. Since you are unable to get into the system in either safe mode or normal mode, you might perform the following steps to delete or rename those files.

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …" appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next

4. Click Repair your computer

5. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt

7. Navigate to c:\windows\system32\drivers\ and rename pcmcia.sys to pcmcia.old

8. Navigate to: c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\ and rename pcmcia.inf_xxxxxxxx to pcmcia.inf_xxxxxxxxold

9. Type "chkdsk /F C:" (without quotation marks) and click Enter.

10. Restart the computer and have a test.

Hope it works!

Thursday, September 11, 2008 9:27 AM
  • Thanks for the response.

There were no extra devices installed on the computer before the Vista install. I actually removed the RAID controller from the equation and all that was hooked up was whatever on-board devices happened to be on the board.

It was a complete format from fresh, and then an install. I even used different media to see if that was the issue, but to no avail. I checked the compatibility of the hardware, and all are show to work with Vista. I will attempt the console repair, and post my results.

Thanks

Monday, September 22, 2008 12:08 PM