Using Microsoft Update servers when WSUS is offline RRS feed

• Question

• Dear IT gurus,

I have a situation where my WSUS server will be phyiscally moved around since the company is restructuring the offices. I currently have all my computers to use WSUS to download the updates.

Is there a way to change the respective WSUS GPO to use Microsoft Update servers when my WSUS is offline please?

If so, how can this be done.

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, May 5, 2020 7:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here.
    According to your description, if you have not enabled the following group policies for the client:

• Do not connect to any Windows Update Internet locations
      (Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update\)
    • Turn off access to all Windows Update features
      (Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Internet Communication Management\Internet Communication settings\)

Then in the Windows Update of the client, we can manually trigger the connection to Microsoft Update to check:

But for the automatic update check, if there is a group policy about WSUS without canceling the configuration in advance, the automatic update check will still contact the WSUS server.
    Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 5, 2020 8:42 AM
  • Hi,

Any update is welcome here.
    If the issue is resolved, share your solution or find the helpful response "Mark as Answer" to help other community members find the answer.

Thank you for your cooperation, as always.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 8, 2020 1:28 AM