none
Cannot open IE9 or install IE10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    Until today IE9 has been working fine but now when I open it, it flashes open and then closes immediately.
    I tried resetting all the settings but it still didn't work.
    I then uninstalled it by removing it from the Updates section of Programs and Features, and checking that it was no longer listed in the Features list.
    Then I tried installing IE10 but I get the message "Setup can't continue because a more recent version of IE is installed on your computer".

I can't see IE9 in the Program and Features lists, but the icon is still in my start menu and the IE folder still exists in Program Files.

On a separate note, I can't even delete the IE folder in Program Files.
    Initially I was getting the error that TrustedInstaller was the owner, so I changed the owner to both Administrator, and my own account (which is an Administrator account) and both times it tells me I am not that owner, when I am.

I also saw a post about waiting until the "Setup can't continue" error appears installing IE10, then looking for a temp folder with a .msu file in and running that, but I can't find any such file.

So I am at a loss now - I can't work out why IE9 doesn't open (at least originally, it's pretty much uninstalled now), but I can't install IE10 instead.
    I use other browsers but I need IE specifically for some web sites that demand it (bad design but what can I do).
    Please can anyone offer any further assistance, since I have tried everything I can find on the web with no success.
    Thanks in advance.
    Sunday, September 8, 2013 3:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Regarding the issue, the error means that IE10 is already installed (in which case you can't reinstall it until you've uninstalled it).

Please follow these steps to check if the IE10 is already installed:
    1.Click Start , and then click Control Panel .
    2.Click Uninstall a Program under the Programs category
    3.In the Tasks pane, click View installed updates .
    4.In the list of installed updates, find Internet Explorer 10. 
    5.Follow the instructions to uninstall Internet Explorer 10 .
    6.When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer.

Then, click the Internet Explorer to check the issue.

If Windows Internet Explorer 10 does not appear in the list of installed updates, I suggest to try the following Fixit to check the result.
    Fix problems with programs that can't be installed or uninstalled:
    http://support.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall/en-us

Run it on your computer. Reboot then try to install the IE 10 again.

Regards,

Kelvin_Hsu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 9, 2013 11:36 PM

All replies

• I then uninstalled it by removing it from the Updates section of Programs and Features, and checking that it was no longer listed in the Features list.

Then I tried installing IE10 but I get the message "Setup can't continue because a more recent version of IE is installed on your computer".

I can't see IE9 in the Program and Features lists, but the icon is still in my start menu and the IE folder still exists in Program Files.

IE browsing functionality is a feature of the OS.  IE9 and IE10 are updates to the W7 OS.  Unchecking the feature hides iexplore.exe and its shortcuts--only.  Whatever version of IE you have as a result of the updates to the OS will still be in effect.  Use msinfo32.exe Loaded Modules to see this.   Sort by version--descending, if you suspect the version is less than 10, since the sort is done as a string, not arithmetically.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, September 9, 2013 6:20 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Regarding the issue, the error means that IE10 is already installed (in which case you can't reinstall it until you've uninstalled it).

Please follow these steps to check if the IE10 is already installed:
    1.Click Start , and then click Control Panel .
    2.Click Uninstall a Program under the Programs category
    3.In the Tasks pane, click View installed updates .
    4.In the list of installed updates, find Internet Explorer 10. 
    5.Follow the instructions to uninstall Internet Explorer 10 .
    6.When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer.

Then, click the Internet Explorer to check the issue.

If Windows Internet Explorer 10 does not appear in the list of installed updates, I suggest to try the following Fixit to check the result.
    Fix problems with programs that can't be installed or uninstalled:
    http://support.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall/en-us

Run it on your computer. Reboot then try to install the IE 10 again.

Regards,

Kelvin_Hsu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 9, 2013 11:36 PM
  • I'm so grateful for the help! Really useful! Thank You so much
    Friday, December 20, 2019 12:59 PM