Is it possible to change the default parameter page RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

Is there any way we can change the default page "Specify Parameter Values" that appears when parameters are displayed. The reason is the reports we developed are for a number of jurisdictions and one complaint, besides many, is that when they open a report and it displays the parameters there is no help as in descriptions of paramaters. We wanted to put this in the default page ReportViewer.aspx.

Any concepts that other people have used I would be interested to hear.

Thanks.

John. 

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 11:43 AM

Answers

•  John Guilbert wrote:

Hi,

We are hoping to use .NET Reflector (free) to hack Microsoft.reportingservices.sharepoint.ui.webparts.dll and change text. However, trying to find this DLL is painful to say the least.

John. 

Hi,
    I didn't hack SSRS 2005 dlls but I implemented my own parameters processing. I used about all web methods from
    SSRS 2005 to implement this. Please see a few examples
    • Marked as answer by John Guilbert Tuesday, December 23, 2008 10:52 AM
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 3:58 PM
  •  

I basically solved the issue by adding javascript in the RSViewerPage.asp which changes elements innerText to get rid of default page text - using "getElelments" user defined type functions. We added our own text and Company Logo and help details on the side of the parameters. 

If anyone is interested in the code then drop me a line!

Thanks.

John. 

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 12:40 PM

All replies

•  

Hi John,

We can not change the default page to specify the instructions for the parameters. I think may be we can do this when we open the report in aspx page using report viewer control.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 12:20 PM
  • Hi,

We are hoping to use .NET Reflector (free) to hack Microsoft.reportingservices.sharepoint.ui.webparts.dll and change text. However, trying to find this DLL is painful to say the least.

John. 

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 2:27 PM
  •  John Guilbert wrote:

Hi,

John. 

Hi,
    I didn't hack SSRS 2005 dlls but I implemented my own parameters processing. I used about all web methods from
    SSRS 2005 to implement this. Please see a few examples
    • Marked as answer by John Guilbert Tuesday, December 23, 2008 10:52 AM
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 3:58 PM
  • Hi John,

When designing a report, you can specify a custom prompt for each parameter.  This prompt will appear next to each parameter input when you load the report in the report viewer control.  You can try specifying a helpful description in each parameter's prompt.

Hope that helps

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 8:57 AM
  •  

I basically solved the issue by adding javascript in the RSViewerPage.asp which changes elements innerText to get rid of default page text - using "getElelments" user defined type functions. We added our own text and Company Logo and help details on the side of the parameters. 

If anyone is interested in the code then drop me a line!

Thanks.

John. 

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 12:40 PM
  • Hi John,

thank you very much for the hint !!!!

I am very much like to see the sample code of yours, so I can create something similar to that.

I am also facing the issue with default parameter prompt UI.

THanks in advance,
    Jaydeep
    I love walking in the rain b'coz no one see me crying
    Friday, November 13, 2009 10:07 AM
  • What's your email address Jay?

The professional solution is to use Sharepoint Designer and edit Sharepoint directly.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:07 PM