Cannot start Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• I was unable to send e-mails from my Outlook but able to receive. I'm reluctant to attribute it to the update to 1807 because I only encountered this problem today (25 October 2018). I deleted my e-mail account and tried to set it up again but failed. The dialogue boxes in the new Outlook update don't get to the detailed part that requires further information.

So I went on https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dae46067-20ae-43ee-9037-3d4606bbcda8/outlook-2016-account-settings-no-longer-shows-me-pop-advanced-settings?forum=outlook and got the following information: "You can close Outlook, go to Control Panel > Mail, click Email Accounts... button, click to select your POP account and click Change... button, this should show the advanced settings you want." 

I did so, and was able to re-add my e-mail account. Now, every time I try to start Outlook, I get the following error message: Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. You must connect to Microsoft Exchange with the current profile before you can synchronise your folders with your Outlook data file (.ost). 

How do I resolve this problem?

• Moved by woshixiaobai Monday, October 29, 2018 2:25 AM move this case to the right forum
    Friday, October 26, 2018 9:46 PM

All replies

• Have you cleared Windows Credentials by using the Windows Credential Manager?

Sunday, October 28, 2018 12:55 PM
  • Hi Ekpen,

Our forum focus on a software called MS Teams, based on your description, this issue was related to the Outlook, so I move this thread to the Outlook IT Pro Discussion forum.
    Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, October 29, 2018 2:22 AM
  • Hi Ekpen J,

As is indicated in the error message, is this an Exchange account?

How about running Outlook in safe mode(Press Win+R, type "outlook /safe", press Enter.) and see if the error continues.

Besides, by "unable to send emails", do you mean the messages stuck in Outbox or is there any error messages?

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, October 29, 2018 9:48 AM
  • Hello,

‘Cannot Start Microsoft Outlook’ this is one of the most commonly seen Outlook error. These erroneous messages appear due to the corruption in Outlook storage file or it can also appear as a result of damages in profile settings. For more information about the error message and its solution, go through the article given: https://www.msoutlookware.com/error/cannot-start-microsoft-outlook.html

As Moderator Yuki Sun has suggested, you can try opening Outlook in safe mode. Refer the blog for more information: https://www.msoutlookware.com/basic-tips/outlook-safe-mode.html

Hope this will help you.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Bruce
    Monday, October 29, 2018 10:39 AM
    1. Go to Tools menu > Account settings
    2. Select the relevant GreenNet email account, and click the “Change” button (third from the left above that line)
    3. Make sure that the “Outgoing mail server (SMTP)” box reads “smtp.gn.apc.org” if this is a GreenNet account. (If you have “smtp.greennet.org.uk” it is worth changing to “smtp.gn.apc.org”.)
    4. Click the “More settings…” button to the bottom right.
    5. Click the second tab along, “Outgoing server” and ensure “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication” is ticked. Select “Use same settings as my incoming mail server”. “Require secure password authentication” should not be ticked.
    6. Click the right-hand tab, “Advanced”.
    7. For “Outgoing server (SMTP)”, remove “25” if that is what you have, and first try entering 587. In this case change “Use the following type of encrypted connection” to TLS. Click “OK” and next.
    8. Cancel any messages being sent, and try sending again.
    9. If you still get an error, you may want to try using “2525” “Outgoing server (SMTP)” without any encryption (not secure), or possibly “465” with SSL encryption (secure).
    • Proposed as answer by ankit3302 Monday, October 29, 2018 10:54 AM
    Monday, October 29, 2018 10:54 AM
  • Check out some references available on the web:
    https://it.toolbox.com/blogs/janeparker/how-to-fix-cannot-start-ms-outlook-cannot-open-outlook-window-082217
    https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/error-solved-microsoft-outlook-wont-start/

RAHUL Sr. Software Engineer

Thursday, November 1, 2018 11:33 AM