USMT Cross Domain Migration RRS feed

• Question

• Long story short: We've been using USMT in our company for over 2 years and it's been working great. We just aquired a new corporation and the deadline for migrating the new associate's over to our sytems is fast approaching. Problem: The company of which we acquired uses a vastly different naming scheme for their users than we currently use. We'd also like to be able to migrate them over off their domain and onto ours while keeping any files they might have saved to their local desktop. USMT 4.0 supports this, but I'm having trouble getting it to work:

I'm capturing the settings with the following commandline for scanstate:

scanstate.exe \\System\usmt$\Mig\%username% /i:migdocs.xml /i:migapp.xml /i:miguser.xml /v:13 /l:\\System\usmt$\Logs\%username%\%username%CAPTURE.log /uel:0 /ue:Administrator /efs:copyraw /o /c

/uel:0 in this case is just grabbing the user logged on at the time of scanstate taking place. This wraps up just fine. I then log into the target system for our preferred domain(read: the domain we are migrating to) and I use the following loadstate:

loadstate.exe \\System\usmt$\Mig\FORMERUSERNAME /i:migapp.xml /i:migdocs.xml /i:miguser.xml /mu:oldomain.com\%cname%:newdomain.com\%qname% /v:1 /c /l:\\system\usmt$\Logs\%cname%\%cname%to%qname%LOAD.log

%cname% is a property prompted that defines the FORMER username

%qname% is a property prompted that defines the NEW username that will be used on the new domain.

When I run the loadstate and check c:\Users all I find is a folder with the FORMER username, and not the NEW username. Furthermore if I log on with that new username it doesn't seem to have carried the files over. Anyone with experience in this? Is there anything better that I could be using? What am I missing?

• Edited by JMHahn Monday, November 21, 2011 10:13 PM
    Monday, November 21, 2011 10:12 PM

Answers

• Alright, sorry for the delay:

What I originally caught in the command line window of the scanstate portion is what tipped me off to the eventual problem. Lets call my "old" domain as oldomain.com and my new domain (or the domain of which I'm desiring to migrate) as newdomain.com.

Now, in this particular instance both companies use the ".com" in their domain, visible in Active Directory and everywhere else. However, when scanstate was displaying the "Scanning for users for progress log" I noticed that it populated all pre-existing domain accounts on the system as simply oldomain\username instead of oldomain.com\username. Odd, I thought.

Now, above you can see I used the following command line in loadstate to "move" the user to the newdomain.com domain:

/mu:oldomain.com\%cname%:newdomain.com\%qname%

So, after seeing how the progress log populated these usernames, I changed it to:

/mu:oldomain\%cname%:newdomain.com\%qname%

(please note that %cname% and %qname% here represent user-defined properties for the "old" username on oldomain.com and the "new" username being migrated to on newdomain.com)

I reran my scanstate for safe measure, then reran my loadstate-- bingo! I could see right in the log where it authenticated the newly defined user on newdomain.com, confirmed the SID, and created the profile.

It's important to note I still kept the ".com" on the newdomain.com\username-- In this particular instance it didn't want to seem to map the SID and create the profile without it. I can't explain why one set wanted .com, and why the other did not, but it works like a charm.

I later went back in and "rewrote" all my syntax and scripting to make it a bit clearer, so my code has changed a bit from what it was above. If anyone has need of my new examples just let me know, and I'll provide.

Also, if nobody here is using it, make sure you're using Trace32 from the Config Manager 2007 Toolkit to view the logs-- trying to catch these things in plain txt in notepad is nearly impossible. Just a word of advice (and old tip, not something new I discovered in this senario.)

If anyone ends up running into the same thing I did, feel free to ask any questions.

• Marked as answer by JMHahn Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:23 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:23 PM

All replies

• Can you post the loadstate.log file?  (upload the file somewhere and post a link, do not paste the log content)

/ Johan

Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 1:57 AM
  • I actually got this figured out after some sluething in some logs-- which was the eventual epiphany that hit me just before bed the other night when mulling on it (the best thinking of the day right there.)

The office is closing early today and I need to get moving for the holiday, but I'll followup next week with what I think the problem was, my revised syntax, and where I'm at now incase anyone ever runs into the same problem.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 7:50 PM
  • Alright, sorry for the delay:

What I originally caught in the command line window of the scanstate portion is what tipped me off to the eventual problem. Lets call my "old" domain as oldomain.com and my new domain (or the domain of which I'm desiring to migrate) as newdomain.com.

Now, in this particular instance both companies use the ".com" in their domain, visible in Active Directory and everywhere else. However, when scanstate was displaying the "Scanning for users for progress log" I noticed that it populated all pre-existing domain accounts on the system as simply oldomain\username instead of oldomain.com\username. Odd, I thought.

Now, above you can see I used the following command line in loadstate to "move" the user to the newdomain.com domain:

/mu:oldomain.com\%cname%:newdomain.com\%qname%

So, after seeing how the progress log populated these usernames, I changed it to:

/mu:oldomain\%cname%:newdomain.com\%qname%

(please note that %cname% and %qname% here represent user-defined properties for the "old" username on oldomain.com and the "new" username being migrated to on newdomain.com)

I reran my scanstate for safe measure, then reran my loadstate-- bingo! I could see right in the log where it authenticated the newly defined user on newdomain.com, confirmed the SID, and created the profile.

It's important to note I still kept the ".com" on the newdomain.com\username-- In this particular instance it didn't want to seem to map the SID and create the profile without it. I can't explain why one set wanted .com, and why the other did not, but it works like a charm.

I later went back in and "rewrote" all my syntax and scripting to make it a bit clearer, so my code has changed a bit from what it was above. If anyone has need of my new examples just let me know, and I'll provide.

Also, if nobody here is using it, make sure you're using Trace32 from the Config Manager 2007 Toolkit to view the logs-- trying to catch these things in plain txt in notepad is nearly impossible. Just a word of advice (and old tip, not something new I discovered in this senario.)

If anyone ends up running into the same thing I did, feel free to ask any questions.

• Marked as answer by JMHahn Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:23 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:23 PM
  • Great, and thanks for posting back the solution,

If you want, I would be happy to post your solution to my blog... If so, please contact me offline at "my lastname" [at] gmail [dot] com.

/ Johan

Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 10:16 PM
  • When you say that you "noticed that it populated all pre-existing domain accounts on the system as simply oldomain\username instead of oldomain.com\username", where did you actually notice this?  In the scanstate log, the progress log or somewhere else altogether?

I'm having a similar problem trying to move user profiles from one domain to another and change the username and it just keeps ignoring me.  I've tried using NetBIOS and DNS names for both the source and target users and every combination of them but nothing seemsto work, the profiles just come across under the old usernames (and presumably the old domain names).

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:17 AM
  • It does work!  Amazing what a backslash in the wrong place can do!
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:43 AM
  • It does work!  Amazing what a backslash in the wrong place can do!

-=I'm sorry if this is of topic=-

Lol, that reminds me on something I noticed a while back.

net use \\server\share\ don't work while net use \\server\share does.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:02 PM
  • cross domain migration does not seem to work for me. Scenario:

old computer running XP on DomainA, contains user profile Jane

New computer running Win 7 on DomainB, part of new domain, no domain user profile exist at this point.

Trying to migrate DomainA\Jane to DomainB\jsmith

Tried both the commands below: first by NOT creating the jsmith user profile by logging onto the domain, second time created the jsmith user profile locally on New computer and then running usmt

commands used so far:

command1:

loadstate c:\USMT-Store /ue:*\* /ui:DomainA\jane /i:miguser.xml /i:migapp.xml /v:5 /c /progress:loadstateprogress.log /l:loadstate.log /mu:DomainA\jane:DomainB\jsmith

command2

loadstate c:\USMT-Store /i:miguser.xml /i:migapp.xml /lac /lae /v:5 /c /progress:loadstateprogress.log /l:loadstate.log /mu:DomainA\jane:DomainB\jsmith

• Edited by JoeTab Monday, April 30, 2012 12:08 AM
    Sunday, April 29, 2012 11:38 PM
  • I am having issues migrating users from one domain to another. Scanstate copies data when Loadstate runs, it creates the user folders in C:\Users with the data, but when the user logs in with domain creds, another folder is created with Username.000 and that is the active profile. What am I doing wrong?

E:\USB\Tools\%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%\USMT5\Loadstate.exe E:\Backup\FSM9LH38W1\ /i:E:\USB\Tools\%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%\USMT5\migapp.xml /i:E:\USB\Tools\%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%\USMT5\migdocs.xml /i:E:\USB\Tools\%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%\USMT5\miguser.xml /v:13 /l:E:\USB\Backup\%COMPUTERNAME%\Loadstate.log /progress:E:\USB\Backup\%COMPUTERNAME%\%COMPUTERNAME%_Loadprogress.log /c /mu:lurie_cro:fsm.edu /lac:Password1 /lae

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 8:46 PM
  • Hello,

Could you please provide the commands and code..

I am eager to test this out :)

Saturday, April 1, 2017 6:37 PM