More than 26 drive letters RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a problem/challenge I need to solve.
    I have a computer with 16 drives connected at this moment. They all get the drive letters starting for F:\.
    Now the eventual goal is to connect 32 drives/usb units to 1 computer.

Little bit more info:
    I work at a company, and we need to flash units who are connected trough USB. Only problem at this moment is that the drive needs an drive letter.
    And because the alphabet ends with Z, I cannot connect anymore units. Is it possible to create more drive letters like AA: AB: or 0: 1: ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Lucas Mateijsen
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 1:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Demonforc,

A mounted drive is a drive that is mapped to an empty folder on a volume that uses the NTFS file system. Mounted drives function as any other drives, but they are assigned drive paths instead of drive letters. When you view a mounted drive in Windows Explorer, it appears as a drive icon in the path in which it is mounted. Because mounted drives are not subject to the 26-drive-letter limit for local drives and mapped network connections, use mounted drives when you want to gain access to more than 26 drives on your computer. For example, if you have a CD-ROM drive with the drive letter E, and an NTFS volume with the drive letter F, mount the CD-ROM drive as F:\CD-ROM. You can then free the drive letter E, and gain access to your CD-ROM drive directly by using F:\CD-ROM.

Here are an article to learn how to create NTFS mounted drives. They should also apply to Windows 7.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/307889

Hope it helps

Thanks
    • Proposed as answer by Noel Carboni Sunday, November 29, 2009 1:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Sunday, November 29, 2009 3:03 PM
    Friday, November 27, 2009 7:07 AM

All replies

• dishwasher extraordinaire here. Yeah I've used Dawn and Palmolive extensively.
    So I wanted to say that I tell Windows  to mount the drive in an empty NTFS folder which has a name of my choosing.
    This allows read/write access, no drive letter needed.
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Sunday, November 29, 2009 3:21 AM
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 10:19 PM
  • I have some good news for you A.Me. The letters 'A', and 'B' are available if you do not have a floppy drive attached to your computer.

Friday, November 27, 2009 2:04 AM
  • Hi Demonforc,

A mounted drive is a drive that is mapped to an empty folder on a volume that uses the NTFS file system. Mounted drives function as any other drives, but they are assigned drive paths instead of drive letters. When you view a mounted drive in Windows Explorer, it appears as a drive icon in the path in which it is mounted. Because mounted drives are not subject to the 26-drive-letter limit for local drives and mapped network connections, use mounted drives when you want to gain access to more than 26 drives on your computer. For example, if you have a CD-ROM drive with the drive letter E, and an NTFS volume with the drive letter F, mount the CD-ROM drive as F:\CD-ROM. You can then free the drive letter E, and gain access to your CD-ROM drive directly by using F:\CD-ROM.

Here are an article to learn how to create NTFS mounted drives. They should also apply to Windows 7.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/307889

Hope it helps

Thanks
    • Proposed as answer by Noel Carboni Sunday, November 29, 2009 1:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Sunday, November 29, 2009 3:03 PM
    Friday, November 27, 2009 7:07 AM
  • That is VERY COOL, Robinson, and is something I completely didn't know existed.  Thank you!

-Noel
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 1:55 AM