When I login to the outlook version of Desktop it pops up 'enter credentials window' every time. It asks me login for every 5 mins. How to solve it? RRS feed

• Question

• When I login to the outlook version of Desktop it pops up 'enter credentials window' every time. It asks me login for every 5 mins. How to solve it?

I cleared the office credentials from the credential manager. But it did not fix the issue.

Friday, November 15, 2019 11:44 PM

All replies

• Is it Exchange or Office 365?

Can you make sure that you can ping the mail server.

Is that client is joined domain or standalone.

Thanks

Saturday, November 16, 2019 10:17 AM
  • Hi AngLee,

What's your account type? Exchange, POP or IMAP?

Would you mind share a screenshot of the pop-up window for further research?

If we click cancel, will Outlook become disconnected?

Password prompt issue can be caused by many aspects. I'd like to recommend you first create a new profile to test the results. Please refer to the steps in this article.

Besides, we can try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

You could also check more details in this Forum FAQ.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, November 20, 2019 9:03 AM
    Monday, November 18, 2019 2:50 AM
  • This account type is IMAP.
    • Edited by AngLee SP Monday, November 18, 2019 5:19 PM
    Monday, November 18, 2019 5:19 PM
  • Hi AngLee,

Have you tested the steps above? Are there any updates?

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:01 AM
  • Hi AngLee,

Does IMAP account still prompt for password? 

For IMAP account, you could also check the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication” option and the first bullet “Use same settings as my incoming mail server”.

In addition, click on the Advanced tab and check if you have enter the correct Server Port Number and select the correct encrypt type. Below is a screenshot for an IMAP account:

Regards,

Perry

Friday, November 22, 2019 1:33 AM
  • Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information.

[Issue Symptom:]

====================

Outlook prompt for password every 5 minutes.

[(Possible) Cause:]

====================

1. Corrupted profile

2. Third-party add-in

3. Account settings related

[Troubleshooting Steps so far:]

====================

1. Create a new profile

2. open Outlook in safe mode

3. Clear credential cache in Credential Manager

4. Check Account Settings 

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, November 25, 2019 9:05 AM