none
Event Viewer RRS feed

• Question

• I have been receiving calls daily from a person that says they are with the windows technical department and my computer has been sending error messages. About 6 months ago, I let one of these guys troubleshoot my laptop and I got hacked. I told this one today that I thought they were hackers. I pulled up event viewer and have 29,858 error and warning messages. Are these harmful to my computer? Has anyone else had this experience? Thanks.
    Friday, July 22, 2016 4:14 AM

All replies

• Yes, it is possible to hack the laptop if you are connecting with public network like internet.

Can you please tell me the Event ID and Error messages which you are getting.

Did you have Antivirus licensed version in the laptop? 

Friday, July 22, 2016 4:21 AM
  • It depends on the "error" and "warning".  Some are worse than others.

If by "Windows Technical Department", they're trying to tell you they're from Microsoft, I'd highly doubt that. I've certainly never heard of Microsoft cold-calling anyone in any sort of proactive manner; most people come to them, rather than the other way round.  More likely these are people that are trying to infect your PC in some way or another, or steal some personal information from you.

Can you give any detail about these events, like what SOUNDARRAJ is asking for?

Your best bet, if you're not technical enough to know how to check if anything nefarious is running on your machine, is to either reinstall it, or get someone to reinstall it for you.

Friday, July 22, 2016 4:44 AM
  • Please read this wiki to find out how to find and upload your event viewer logs

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 1:01 PM