Why do some .docx files open in [Compatability Mode] ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Using Office 2010...

I've noticed some .docx files open in [Compatability Mode]

I was previously under the impression that [Compatability Mode] was used when viewing / editing files in downlevel file formats (e.g. viewing a .doc file in Word 2010)

Why would a file which is supposedly in the "native" file format open in this way?

It's easy to demonstrate (with a Microsoft supplied file).
    Download APP-V_and_ConfigMgr_WhitePaper_Final.docx
    The file opens but shows "App-V_and_ConfigMgr_Whitepaper_Final[1] [Compatability Mode] - Microsoft Word" in the title bar.

If I wanted a file to open in "Compatability Mode" I would save it as ".doc", but lets say for the sake of curiosity I wanted to create a file with a .docx extension but have it open in "Compatability Mode" (like this one) how would I even go about doing that? (this looks "abormal" but thought I'd check)

Thanks
    -AL

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:26 PM

All replies

• docx documents will open in compatibility mode if they were created from a template that was created in Word 2007.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"Alistg" wrote in message news:26106886-13aa-484a-be04-4ff36260c9b0@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi

Using Office 2010...

I've noticed some .docx files open in [Compatability Mode]

I was previously under the impression that [Compatability Mode] was used when viewing / editing files in downlevel file formats (e.g. viewing a .doc file in Word 2010)

Why would a file which is supposedly in the "native" file format open in this way?

It's easy to demonstrate (with a Microsoft supplied file).
    Download APP-V_and_ConfigMgr_WhitePaper_Final.docx <http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/7/8/F784A197-73BE-48FF-83DA-4102C05A6D44/App-V_and_ConfigMgr_Whitepaper_Final.docx>;
    The file opens but shows "App-V_and_ConfigMgr_Whitepaper_Final[1] [Compatability Mode] - Microsoft Word" in the title bar.

If I wanted a file to open in "Compatability Mode" I would save it as ".doc", but lets say for the sake of curiosity I wanted to create a file with a .docx extension but have it open in "Compatability Mode" (like this one) how would I even go about doing that? (this looks "abormal" but thought I'd check)

Thanks
    -AL

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    • Proposed as answer by RabanserD Tuesday, November 10, 2015 2:01 PM
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 11:42 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I actually saw a post from you on this subject before I posted this one but since you used said "It is probably due to the structure of the document" I wasn't sure if that was a definitive answer or not ;-)

Is there a way for me to see in the file structure that this really is the cause?

Thanks!
    -AL

Thursday, December 16, 2010 12:32 AM
  • If create a document in Word 2007 and make a copy of it and I change the file extension to zip and then open the zip file and look in docProps>app.xml file, a Word 2007 document will have

<AppVersion>12.0000</AppVersion>

If I then open the original document in Word 2010, where it will appear as being in Compatibility Mode until I save it in Word 2010 without making any change other than to change the file name and the I change the extension of that document to zip and look at its docProps>app.xml file, it shows

<AppVersion>14.0000</AppVersion>

So it's my guess that when a document is opened in Word 2010, the AppVersion of the file is taken into account and that determines whether the Compatibility Mode tag is used or not.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,

"Alistg" wrote in message news:8aaae2c2-c54b-407e-8419-58d122b85a12@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Thanks for the reply.

I actually saw a post <http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/worddev/thread/c8851c28-27b8-461d-a204-6b8e85e142a3/>; from you on this subject before I posted this one but since you used said "It is probably due to the structure of the document" I wasn't sure if that was a definitive answer or not ;-)

Is there a way for me to see in the file structure that this really is the cause?

Thanks!
    -AL

Thursday, December 16, 2010 5:07 AM
  • Hi

Using the example file which I mentioned in my origional post.

I renamed and opened the app.xml file and it shows the version as <AppVersion>14.0000</AppVersion>

So - I dont think this explains why it's showing in "Compatability Mode"
    (i.e. it's already an Office 2010 doc and not Office 2007)

There must be something else in the file indicating it's in "Compatability Mode", but no idea where is it or (more interestingly) how it get there.

-AL

Thursday, December 16, 2010 2:37 PM
  • Doug, maybe a silly question, but why?  Even if the template was created in 2007, shouldn't they become a docx?
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:48 PM
  • Ironically I just went to a client's machine due to macro issues, and we saved the 2003 spreadsheet as .xlsm and it still shows compatability mode in the title bar.
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 9:41 PM
  • And it is still showing Compatibility Mode?  Here, once in Word 2010 I save a document that was created in 2007 or from a 2007 template, the Compatibility Mode no longer appears and the full set of 2010 features become available to that document.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,

"Alistg" wrote in message news:12ef7f32-a1d9-4cce-a643-f6b779ef3041@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi

Using the example file <#x_mce_temp_url#> which I mentioned in my origional post.

I renamed and opened the app.xml file and it shows the version as <AppVersion>14.0000</AppVersion>

So - I dont think this explains why it's showing in "Compatability Mode"
    (i.e. it's already an Office 2010 doc and not Office 2007)

There must be something else in the file indicating it's in "Compatability Mode", but no idea where is it or (more interestingly) how it get there.

-AL

Friday, December 17, 2010 1:22 AM
  • Until they are saved, I guess they are nothing.  When they are saved, they are saved into whatever format is set use File>Options>Save.  If that is set to "Word Document (*.docx), then after saving, the [Compatibility Mode] is no longer displayed and the full 2010 functionality becomes available to the document.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,

"Thomas McLaughlin - tomax7" wrote in message news:1a317e47-4097-4a91-9450-7fa67e8c538b@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Doug, maybe a silly question, but why?  Even if the template was created in 2007, shouldn't they be still a docx?

Friday, December 17, 2010 1:22 AM
  • I acknowledge the scenario you've described, but what's not explained in this case is that the file verison details already show as 14 and it is in .docx form.

So - how could it have ended up as version 14 (i.e. Office 2010) if it wasn't saved in Office 2010... ?

Thats whats puzzling me!

(Although I agree - if it is resaved now it does convert / "exit" compatability mode)

It's probalby "flogging a dead horse", but to me this is an "annomaly"

BTW I do appreciate comment you've made so far - these have defiantley been usefull!

Best regards
    -AL

Friday, December 17, 2010 2:16 PM
  • Yep, could it be because of the macro's in the spreadsheet still cause 2010 to think it is 2003 version they were created in?
    Friday, December 17, 2010 3:41 PM
  • ...er this is a .docx (not a spreadsheet) it dosnt contain any macros (?!)

-AL

Friday, December 17, 2010 4:13 PM
  • OH sorry, was responding to Doug's post, but the order the reply came in after yours.

You are saying you have a file you saved and it shows version 14? 

Couple of assumptions:

1. You created the file

2. You have either Office 2003 or 2007 on your machine.

3. You have not pasted something in from another spreadsheet (made with 2010).

4. Downloaded a template from the Internet?

Then that is amazing indeed!

Friday, December 17, 2010 7:40 PM
  • I have a similar issue, which I don't think is covered in the responses above.

I am using Office 2007.  I have some .docx documents that are opening in compatibility mode.  None of these documents have been near a 2010 version of office or a 2010 template. 

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by ABitOfTime Sunday, July 15, 2012 7:28 PM
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 12:04 PM
  • Instructions

<section>

Open a Microsoft Word document that was saved in a previous format of Word.

Click the "Microsoft Office" button in the top left corner of your screen.

Click "Convert." Click "OK" in the dialog box that appears. This converts the file to Word 2007 format.

Click the "Microsoft Office" button, then choose "Save" to save the file in Word 2007 format. Click "Save as" instead if you want to save the revised format as a separate document from the original.

</section>
    Sunday, July 15, 2012 7:29 PM