Public Folders and Free/Busy in calendars - how does it work? RRS feed

• Question

• What is the connection? I dont understand the connection between calendars and having a public folder - how does this work?

If you have no public folder, you won't get free/busy for calendars? In our organisation, the public folders have been completely removed.

If we have now lost this functionality, how do we get it back? To re-add a new public folder?

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 7:51 AM

Answers

• What is the connection? I dont understand the connection between calendars and having a public folder - how does this work?

If you have no public folder, you won't get free/busy for calendars? In our organisation, the public folders have been completely removed.

If we have now lost this functionality, how do we get it back? To re-add a new public folder?

In Exchange 2003, there is a free/busy folder in public folders, yes:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997491(v=exchg.65).aspx

In Exchange 2007, you dont need public folders assuming there are no 2003 server and all clients are using at Outlook 2007 since the free/busy ( availibility) service now accesses  free/busy directly in each mailbox versus checking the free/busy public folder.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 11:09 AM

All replies

In Exchange 2003, there is a free/busy folder in public folders, yes:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997491(v=exchg.65).aspx

In Exchange 2007, you dont need public folders assuming there are no 2003 server and all clients are using at Outlook 2007 since the free/busy ( availibility) service now accesses  free/busy directly in each mailbox versus checking the free/busy public folder.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 11:09 AM
  • Paul, as long as none of your users have outdated versions of Outlook, you don't need a public folder database for free & busy to work properly. As Andy stated old versions of Exchange and Outlook needed the public folder database to host and access the free & busy information.

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 12:56 PM
  • Right. Well we have Outlook 2007 minuimum and Exchange 2007 so I guess we;re ok.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 1:25 PM
  • Right. Well we have Outlook 2007 minuimum and Exchange 2007 so I guess we;re ok.
    You would know it if things werent working! 

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 1:36 PM

Hi,

Since there is no Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003 related, the free/busy information doesn't need Public Folder anymore. You can work fine with the Autodiscover service and Availability service in Exchange 2007 for the Free/busy information.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2006/10/23/3395177.aspx

If you have any question about Free/Busy information in Exchange 2007, welcome to ask a question in Microsoft Exchange forum for help.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, October 1, 2015 10:15 AM

You would know it if things werent working! 

We have had a few issues. But I think they were unrelated.
    Friday, October 2, 2015 7:35 AM