Entire Interface disappeared! RRS feed

• Question

• I was programming in Visual Studio 2008 using the HGE game maker tool/library. When I tested running my program in fullscreen the screen started behaving wierd, but then the program started in fullscreen. When I tried to shut it down it wouldn't let me and when I finally did it my entire Windows interface, including the cursor, the taskbar, all icons and all windows, had disappeared!

I can only see my desktop background and nothing else. Even if I restart the computer the interface is still gone. I dualboot with XP so that's the OS I'm writing this from but I need Windows 7 to continue my programming project!

Does anyone know how I can get my interface back?!
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 5:55 PM

Answers

• Redefine = globally going through all the dialogueboxes about which items to show and which not to show at all.

If you are not used to playing around with the system, I'd suggest a reinstall.

Now make sure you've got a backup solution; i.e. a way to backup your entire drive. When your system goes berserk, you can fall back to that backup (which you are supposed to maintain (keep up to date)). Also make sure you allow Windows to have enough space for its restore points.

You say that you may have hardware issues. I don't think they have anything to do with the original problems, but in case you want to do a reinstall, make sure these issues will allow you to reinstall.

• Marked as answer by Ejohrik Friday, March 19, 2010 3:09 PM
    Friday, March 19, 2010 1:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I noticed that it is to be more of programing issue in Visual Studio 2008. I kindly recommend you to post your question in MSDN forums so as to get a better assistance.

Best Regards

Dale

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Friday, March 19, 2010 6:48 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ejohrik Friday, March 19, 2010 3:09 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ejohrik Friday, March 19, 2010 3:09 PM
    Friday, March 19, 2010 6:47 AM
  • Hi,

Do try a restore (start typing rest in the start textbox and you'll find it in the list) to a date prior to the beginning of your problem, and keep us posted.

Regards

Rem

Friday, March 19, 2010 7:16 AM
  • I tried, but I had not made any points to where I could restore. I have also tried using the repair tool and checking for memory issues, but the test found nothing. I will keep trying. I will also try the MSDN forum.

Thanks for you commitment.

Friday, March 19, 2010 10:49 AM
  • You might want to try the safe mode, thus giving you the possibility to redefine your desktop. Restart afterwards.

Just a question though; when using the explorer, can you see the desktop library (and its contents)?

Cheers

Rem

Friday, March 19, 2010 11:14 AM
  • I have tried safemode and there I checked the log of system errors where I found a "critical" error around the time the incident happened. I'm not sure what you mean by "redine your desktop". At what moment do you mean that I would use the explorer? I'm not really used to all terms, I hope you can excuse. When I start in safe mode everything is there, all icons etc.

I did the memory test again, this time with "extended" search and this time it said that it found hardware issues and that I should contact the computer manufacturer. I am very much considering formating the D: disk where I have the OS, so i can re-install Windows 7.

Friday, March 19, 2010 12:34 PM
  • Redefine = globally going through all the dialogueboxes about which items to show and which not to show at all.

If you are not used to playing around with the system, I'd suggest a reinstall.

Now make sure you've got a backup solution; i.e. a way to backup your entire drive. When your system goes berserk, you can fall back to that backup (which you are supposed to maintain (keep up to date)). Also make sure you allow Windows to have enough space for its restore points.

You say that you may have hardware issues. I don't think they have anything to do with the original problems, but in case you want to do a reinstall, make sure these issues will allow you to reinstall.

• Marked as answer by Ejohrik Friday, March 19, 2010 3:09 PM
    Friday, March 19, 2010 1:01 PM
  • I have decided to do a format and reinstall. I just got myself an external harddrive (1TB) which I will use from time to time.

Thank you so much for your help!

Friday, March 19, 2010 3:09 PM