Critical error - start menu not working RRS feed

• Question

• Customer is on a domain, and is getting critical error message and his start menu does not work (fairly common issue apparently). I have tried a number of suggestions from forums - booted to safe mode, created a new local admin account. I have not logged in with a MS account as this is not something we can easily do with this customer. It has been suggested I contact this forum to see if you can help. So far he is the only user for this customer that has reported the issue.

Please let me know if you need any further information

Thursday, February 11, 2016 10:38 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Please try suggestions mentioned here and see if they helps you:

http://www.kapilarya.com/fix-your-start-menu-isnt-working-windows-10

Hope this helps, Good luck :)

Windows Troubleshooting & How to guides - http://www.kapilarya.com

Thursday, February 11, 2016 1:58 PM
  • Customer is on a domain, and is getting critical error message and his start menu does not work (fairly common issue apparently).

That started happening when people were having trouble using it, so I think it is pretty obvious that it is a diagnostic that has been added to try to capture why but it is not succeeding which probably means that they still don't have enough pertinent details about it.

When this happened to me during the Technical Preview I was able to work around it by using Narrator.  (Win-Enter)   Narrator describes things that you can not see but which you are allowed to use if you use the correct keystroke sequences.  The good news is that if you do it often enough and with a wide enough scope that eventually all the UI starts showing on its own without such a crutch.  I speculate that it is going to be a case of XAML not being rendered correctly or perhaps what is there needs to be cached differently.  Who knows?  Nobody discusses these things with us.

Windows 10.  Still an Adventure ("Twisty passages, all different.")

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, February 11, 2016 2:09 PM
  • Hi,

We quite understand your issue. Since another user account does not fix your issue, please run the command below in PowerShell as administrator to reregister Start Menu.

Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}

Wish you have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 12, 2016 1:29 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Please try suggestions mentioned here and see if they helps you:

http://www.kapilarya.com/fix-your-start-menu-isnt-working-windows-10

Hope this helps, Good luck :)

Windows Troubleshooting & How to guides - http://www.kapilarya.com

Thursday, February 11, 2016 1:58 PM
  • Customer is on a domain, and is getting critical error message and his start menu does not work (fairly common issue apparently).

That started happening when people were having trouble using it, so I think it is pretty obvious that it is a diagnostic that has been added to try to capture why but it is not succeeding which probably means that they still don't have enough pertinent details about it.

When this happened to me during the Technical Preview I was able to work around it by using Narrator.  (Win-Enter)   Narrator describes things that you can not see but which you are allowed to use if you use the correct keystroke sequences.  The good news is that if you do it often enough and with a wide enough scope that eventually all the UI starts showing on its own without such a crutch.  I speculate that it is going to be a case of XAML not being rendered correctly or perhaps what is there needs to be cached differently.  Who knows?  Nobody discusses these things with us.

Windows 10.  Still an Adventure ("Twisty passages, all different.")

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, February 11, 2016 2:09 PM
  • Hi,

We quite understand your issue. Since another user account does not fix your issue, please run the command below in PowerShell as administrator to reregister Start Menu.

Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}

Wish you have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 12, 2016 1:29 PM