none
Merging Excel Data Changes Time Columns and Bar Style RRS feed

• Question

• When importing excel data into Project using merge, project deletes the start and end dates even though nothing is mapped to them. This in turn changes the duration to 0 and the bar style. I just want it to update other columns without effecting the start and end dates. Any help on this?
    Thursday, November 22, 2018 9:59 PM

All replies

• Tbad,

What exactly is the data you are merging and what is the merge key? Give us an example.

For reference, a duration of zero means that task line is a milestone and consequently, it will be displayed as such.

John

Thursday, November 22, 2018 11:25 PM
  • I download data from software that my company uses to generate the required technical documents to receive a well licence. The software tasks different departments in the company to complete a job when it is there turn in the process. The data I download and want to merge into a schedule in MS Project is mostly text in various columns that lets the reader know where that well licence is in the process. My merge key is a 6 digit number that the software generates for a specific well (or in my case a row in Project).  I am successful in getting the data to merge the text columns updating, but it erases the start and end times. I want the start and end times to be unchanged after the merge.

Thanks for looking at this. Let me know if you need more information.

Travis

Friday, November 23, 2018 1:39 PM
  • Travis,

Thanks for the info but it didn't really answer my question. What fields in Project are you importing (e.g. Duration, Text1, Number1, etc.)? In particular, which field is your 6 digit merge key?

Are you Project tasks manually scheduled or auto-scheduled?

John

Friday, November 23, 2018 2:24 PM
  • John,

All fields that I am importing are either Text or Number. The Merge key is a text field, however it only contains numbers.

Tasks are auto-scheduled.

Travis

Friday, November 23, 2018 4:41 PM
  • Travis,

Okay, what version of Project? Is it fully updated?

I can try and replicate your issue if you can give me an example. A screen shot could be really helpful but if you are unable to post a screen shot, a descriptive narrative explaining exactly which fields are imported and what values.

The reason I need more detail information is because when I import 3 values into the Number1 field, using a number in the Text1 field as the merge key, all data merges as expected with no impact on the task Start and Finish fields.

John

Friday, November 23, 2018 7:41 PM