none
What are the MDT 2013 Upgrade Requirements for Win10 Support? RRS feed

• Question

• I inherited an MDT 2013 ver. 6.2.5019.0 system running on a VMWare hosted virtual Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1.  I have been capturing and imaging Windows 7 Pro 32bit & 64bit images for the past two years. No Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, just Win7.  Now I need to build and capture a Windows 10 Pro 64bit image to deploy to new computers but still need to retain imaging ability for Win7 images.  What do I need to install in order to accomplish this with my current MDT 2013 system?

When I look in the Components section in DeploymentWorkbench it shows the following
    MSXML 6.0                                                                         x86        6.0
    Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit(Windows ADK)   Any         1.0          Required
    Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit                           X86        5.6
    Office Environment Assessment Tool 2010 Update 1           X86         2.2.0.0
    Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP) Toolkit 8.0          Any         8.0
    Microsoft Security Compliance Manager                               Any         3.0.60.0

In addition to this the Microsoft Deployment Services ver. is 6.1.7600.16385 and in Installed Programs there is:
    Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit for Windows 8.1  8.100.26629

I do not know how to identify WinPE or WAIK versions.   

I appreciate your feedback & guidance.

Mike

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 4:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike, you need to uninstall the existing ADK, then install the new version. They cant exist side by side.

Once you've installed the new version, open the Deployment Workbench, right click on your Deployment shares and update them - this will generate new winpe iso's using the new ADK.

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 7:23 PM

All replies

• For Windows 10, you need MDT 2013 update 2 (6.3.8330).  You will also need one of the Windows 10 ADKs (depending on the Windows 10 version you are working with): https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/windows-assessment-deployment-kit (ADK includes WinPE and Application Compatibility toolkit).

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 6:08 PM
  • Thank you BiAtE-Z since ADK 1.0 is already installed on my MDT server do you know if the newest ADK version will get installed in place of it or do they exist side-by-side?
    Wednesday, October 5, 2016 6:51 PM
  • Hi Mike, you need to uninstall the existing ADK, then install the new version. They cant exist side by side.

Once you've installed the new version, open the Deployment Workbench, right click on your Deployment shares and update them - this will generate new winpe iso's using the new ADK.

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 7:23 PM
  • Thank you Mark,  I will follow the instructions you posted for the Deployment Workbench.  When I Update the Deployment Shares object is it safe to assume all of the existing Task Sequences will function properly?

Are any changes/updates needed to the WAIK Microsoft PE(x86), Lite Touch Windows PE(x86), or Lite Touch Windows PE(x64) under the Boot Images object in Windows Deployment Services(WDS)?  

Mike

Thursday, October 6, 2016 5:10 PM
  • Hi Mike, if you've upgraded the version of MDT that's installed, then it's best to recreate your task sequences.

However if you're just changing the ADK then as far as I know, the task sequences should be fine.

Re the Boot Images in WDS - yes you should update them with new copies once you have updated the deployment share.

Thursday, October 6, 2016 11:07 PM
  • Okay, thank you Mark.  I need to find instructions for updating the boot images, I know I read this somewhere in the Planning and Managing Windows 7 Desktop Deployment & Environments 6294A book years ago when I took that class.

I appreciate your input.

Mike

Monday, October 10, 2016 2:47 PM
  • Hello again,  I just upgraded the ADK version to latest version of Windows 10 ADK (1703).  I have not upgraded MDT yet.  Now when I launch Deployment Workbench I get an warning message pop-up stating ADK is not present in the title bar and "The Assessment and Development Kit (ADK) is rquired for interacting with deployment shares. Please install Windows 8.1 ADK".

When I click OK it launches the Workbench utility but there is nothing there, no deployment shares, no tasks sequences, no drivers, nothing, totally empty.

Did I do something wrong or out of order?

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 3:34 PM