none
Linking Project files RRS feed

• Question

• Perhaps I'm being silly here, but when I try to link project files from within Project 2010 to create a master project and those projects are stored in SharePoint in the Projects document library I get an error message saying basically "You cannot use an internet address here. Enter a path that points to a location on your computer or on the network" This is running in SharePoint 2010 with Project 2010, but doesn't seem to be integrating properly. We're trying to phase out file shares, so we need to get this fixed to share out the project files to lots of PM's

Any ideas?

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:01 PM

Answers

• I've written previously in this forum how to do exactly this.  Suggest ou just search back. Basically, yes, you can't link to the files with the URL's.  Project won't work.  Don't know why.

We store the files in SP, and then when time to work on them, we checkout, download to a prescribed and standard location, e.g. c:/data/projectname.  Then we link and open all files from that location.   SP URL's are not involved.  When done, upload and check in.  We facilite this process with Colligio, a tool which handles the synchronisation automatically.  Just works.

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:45 PM

All replies

• I've written previously in this forum how to do exactly this.  Suggest ou just search back. Basically, yes, you can't link to the files with the URL's.  Project won't work.  Don't know why.

We store the files in SP, and then when time to work on them, we checkout, download to a prescribed and standard location, e.g. c:/data/projectname.  Then we link and open all files from that location.   SP URL's are not involved.  When done, upload and check in.  We facilite this process with Colligio, a tool which handles the synchronisation automatically.  Just works.

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:45 PM
  • Robin

I came across your question yesterday when I tried to do exactly the same. A colleague of mine came up with a solution, here it is:

1. Open Windows Explorer, right-click on "Computer", select "Add a network location". When prompted for "Internet or network address", paste the URL to your SharePoint document library or folder which you copied from your browser. It should have the format "http:\\server\site\folder" (without the "\default.aspx" part), then complete all dialogs
    2. In Windows Explorer, right-click on the new network location. Copy the text next to "Comment", it should have the format \\server@SSL\DavWWWRoot\site\folder or similar
    3. Open a DOS window and enter the command "subst x: (or the drive letter that you want) \\server@SSL@DavWWWRoot\site\folder" and hit enter
    4. Now open your master schedule in MSP and link the subproject by selecting this new drive x:. MSP will now consider this a local drive and wont give you trouble anymore.

Let me know if it works.

• Edited by Martin 63 Thursday, July 26, 2012 10:44 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Jen St Onge Thursday, October 9, 2014 4:59 PM
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 10:36 AM
  • Martin,

Thank you so much for posting this solution. I used your steps to connect Microsoft clip Organizer to a SharePoint pictures library. I was receiving the same error message as Robin. Your solution will help us continue moving forward with SharePoint and get us off our LAN! 

I only wish this could be marked as the answer.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! 

Jen

Thursday, October 9, 2014 4:51 PM