PowerShell Script to create site collection RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone! I have a question..

We are going to remove access to our Developers on Central Admin and one of the most challenging task is how are they going to create site collections.
    I was figuring out a plan if I can create a powershell script to do this, but without central admin rights can they only have access to the configdb to be able to run the powershell ?
    The powershell basically will create a site collection under the webapplication, the site collection will use a new DB, they can specify site collection admins on the powershell Script.<o:p></o:p>

Is this possible ?

Thanks!

AJ MCTS: SP 2010 Configuration MCSA: Windows 7 If you find this post useful kindly please mark it as an answer :) TY

• Edited by itsAboutSp Thursday, October 9, 2014 2:33 PM
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 2:29 PM

Answers

• They would need Farm Admin rights to do this.

Why not enable Self-Service Site Creation on the Web Application so they can create Site Collections via the browser?

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by itsAboutSp Thursday, October 9, 2014 3:11 PM
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 2:31 PM
  • Right below the "On/Off" radio button on the Self Service Site Creation settings, you'll see the link, e.g.:

http://webAppUrl/_layouts/15/scsignup.aspx

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, October 9, 2014 2:46 PM
  • So out of the box, no that isn't possible. What you'd want to do is write a Custom Site Creation Provider that would select a database based off of custom criteria. You could also write your own Self Service Site Creation page that implemented a sort of drop down selection for databases, options for creating a new database, etc.

Anyone should be able to access that URL.

Trevor Seward

Thursday, October 9, 2014 3:07 PM

All replies

• They would need Farm Admin rights to do this.

Why not enable Self-Service Site Creation on the Web Application so they can create Site Collections via the browser?

Trevor Seward

Thursday, October 9, 2014 2:31 PM
  • I see.

I have a question.. I enabled the self service site collection

Self Service Site Creation Management
    SIte Collections is set to ON
    Start a site Prompt users to create a site collection under any managed path
    Site Classification Settings is set to An Additional Option
    Require secondary contact is set to On

Where is the option to create a new site collection ? I can still see the create New Subsite but not Create new Site Collection

Thanks in advance

AJ MCTS: SP 2010 Configuration MCSA: Windows 7 If you find this post useful kindly please mark it as an answer :) TY

• Edited by itsAboutSp Thursday, October 9, 2014 2:44 PM
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 2:43 PM
  • Right below the "On/Off" radio button on the Self Service Site Creation settings, you'll see the link, e.g.:

http://webAppUrl/_layouts/15/scsignup.aspx

Trevor Seward

Thursday, October 9, 2014 2:46 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response.. I see it now..

The only problem is there are no Database Selections :( Is that possible to add or not at all ?

Also what user permissions do they need to access the URL can that be restricted to site collection owners only ?

• Edited by itsAboutSp Thursday, October 9, 2014 2:55 PM
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 2:51 PM
  • So out of the box, no that isn't possible. What you'd want to do is write a Custom Site Creation Provider that would select a database based off of custom criteria. You could also write your own Self Service Site Creation page that implemented a sort of drop down selection for databases, options for creating a new database, etc.

Anyone should be able to access that URL.

Trevor Seward

Thursday, October 9, 2014 3:07 PM
  • Okay great, I'll search more on that Custom Site Creation Provider. Hopefully I can also limit access to users that can access the site collection URL.

Thanks Trevor you're awesome

Thursday, October 9, 2014 3:10 PM