none
Configure Automatic Updates - Option 4: Auto download and schedule the install

Question

• Can anyone tell me how this option works if the schedule install time is 3:00 AM but the computer is turned off at that time?

Also, when a user is logged on and the PC needs to reboot, what options are presented to user as far as rebooting?  Is the dialog box obtrusive?

Monday, April 20, 2015 3:10 PM

Answers

• Also, when a user is logged on and the PC needs to reboot, what options are presented to user as far as rebooting?  Is the dialog box obtrusive?

The user experience varies, it's dependent upon the OS used on the client machine.

e.g. WinXP vs Win7 vs Win8 etc

It also varies, if the user interacts with reminders/toast/balloons - in that case, things become a lot more intrusive (because the user interacted).

Some of the available settings for WUagent, aren't applicable to modern OS's.

Some further info in this series of articles:

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/community/application-and-server_tht/patchzone/blog/2013/03/08/configuring-the-windows-update-agent--part-1

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Monday, April 20, 2015 9:42 PM
  • I'm using MSFT windows update.  We will just go on with the limited options. We don't want to purchase a 3rd party product.  Thanks for the suggestions.
    Thursday, April 23, 2015 11:25 AM

All replies

• The install will occur at the next available time.

Read this technet article on how shutdown/restart works with automatic updates: http://blogs.technet.com/b/mu/archive/2008/10/02/windows-update-and-automatic-reboots.aspx

If my answer helped you, check out my blog: Deploy Happiness

Monday, April 20, 2015 3:44 PM
  • Nice article but I wish it was more recent.  None of the images are showing up anymore.
    Monday, April 20, 2015 4:57 PM
  • Also, when a user is logged on and the PC needs to reboot, what options are presented to user as far as rebooting?  Is the dialog box obtrusive?

The user experience varies, it's dependent upon the OS used on the client machine.

e.g. WinXP vs Win7 vs Win8 etc

It also varies, if the user interacts with reminders/toast/balloons - in that case, things become a lot more intrusive (because the user interacted).

Some of the available settings for WUagent, aren't applicable to modern OS's.

Some further info in this series of articles:

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/community/application-and-server_tht/patchzone/blog/2013/03/08/configuring-the-windows-update-agent--part-1

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Monday, April 20, 2015 9:42 PM
  • That's a nice article also.  I have Windows 7 clients here.  I would like to be able to install the updates automatically and then wait for the users to shut down in the evening to install.  I don't believe it can be configured that way though.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2015 11:44 AM
  • That's a nice article also.  I have Windows 7 clients here.  I would like to be able to install the updates automatically and then wait for the users to shut down in the evening to install.  I don't believe it can be configured that way though.

Are you using MSFT windowsupdate as the source of your update management strategy?
    Or are you using MSFT WSUS (an on-premise Windows Server which manages updating for you)?

If you're using either of these solutions, your options are limited. To get more flexibility around scheduling, you'll need to consider some other product, which offers extended features. There are many to choose from for that, most of them are commercial products that you would purchase.

Don

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 9:04 PM
  • I'm using MSFT windows update.  We will just go on with the limited options. We don't want to purchase a 3rd party product.  Thanks for the suggestions.
    Thursday, April 23, 2015 11:25 AM