none
Win10 Reboots back to default 'user' account RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, please move if in wrong area,

I have a new Dell Wyse 5070 with Windows10, it’s a standalone unit no network, no internet, no domain. After booting the first time I changed the password for ‘user’ and have two adm accounts “Admin” and “Administrator” both have administrator rights.  I left the ‘user’ account alone. I use one default adm account and created a second.

I changed the background on “Admin” and “Administrator” and installed applications (McAfee AV, Putty, Office).  I login and out as each, no problem.

The problem started with I rebooted Win10 went straight into windows as ‘user’.  The applications I installed were gone, the background was gone, and everything was defaulted to factory (Date changed, Time changed, etc).  I tried deleting the ‘user’ account and rebooted, the ‘user’ account came back and goes straight into windows (no password).  I assigned a password, rebooted and same issue.

I have googled this and done the win x – control panel – manage user accts, and multiple other steps.  I can login and out as any user and the profiles remain the same, only when I reboot does the system default back to ‘user’

Any ideas?

Thank you Bruce

Friday, November 8, 2019 10:36 PM

All replies

• Click on the Power button at the lower-right corner of the Login screen and choose Restart while pressing and holding down the Shift key.

After booting up the Choose an option screen, click on Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt.

In the Command Prompt window, type the net user administrator /active:yes command and hit Enter key.

Exit Command Prompt window and click Continue under Choose an option to reboot your computer in the end.

After rebooting, your user account shows up and Windows 10 will automatically log into the built-in administrator account.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Saturday, November 9, 2019 1:28 AM
  • I have a new Dell Wyse 5070 with Windows10, it’s a standalone unit no network, no internet, no domain. After booting the first time I changed the password for ‘user’ and have two adm accounts “Admin” and “Administrator” both have administrator rights.  I left the ‘user’ account alone. I use one default adm account and created a second.

Hello,

Have you created 'Admin' and 'Administrator' account yourself? 

Is the 'user' is standard account? Have you enabled auto logon?

Usually the 'Administrator' account is built-in administrator account disabled by default. When it is enabled, you can directly sign-in to that account without any password.

Regards.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Saturday, November 9, 2019 9:04 AM
  • Hello, yes I created the accounts myself, I should have been more clear

Bruce 

Thank you Bruce

Saturday, November 9, 2019 12:43 PM
  • Thanks, I need to try this, stand by

Bruce 

Thank you Bruce

Saturday, November 9, 2019 12:44 PM
  • If by chance this does not work, how do I reboot and reinstall windows from the recovery partition?

Thank you Bruce

Saturday, November 9, 2019 12:53 PM
  • Boot into WinRE, then you could restore system or reset this PC.

You could forcibly shutdown two or three times, and system would enter advanced recovery interface. Click advanced options to enter WinRE.

More detailed information here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-recovery-environment--windows-re--technical-reference

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 11, 2019 3:02 AM