none
Standalone sql virtual machine using csv disk

Question

• We have 2012 r2 hyperv cluster. All disks are csv. Is it supported these configurations?

1. Create a standalone sql vm where S.O and sql 2008 instantes are installed on vhdx of csv disks

2. Idem for 2012

3. Idem for 2014

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Rivers75 If you install SQL Server on a VM and the VHDX or VHD is on CSV it will works normally. That's a ways to give "High Avaliabilty" on the SQL Server using the VM. But if you plan to put SQL directly on CSV Disks i think this is not supported by SQL. Thanks!

João Henrique Mortati Fuzinelli MCSA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 2:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Rivers75,

1. If you mean put the VM on CSV, then it is supported. But I'm not sure if it is appropriate for SQL instance, you may post in the following dedicated forum for better help:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?forum=sqldisasterrecovery

2,3. I'm afraid I'm not understanding very well, what is idem?

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 1:56 AM
  • Hi Rivers75 If you install SQL Server on a VM and the VHDX or VHD is on CSV it will works normally. That's a ways to give "High Avaliabilty" on the SQL Server using the VM. But if you plan to put SQL directly on CSV Disks i think this is not supported by SQL. Thanks!

João Henrique Mortati Fuzinelli MCSA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 2:29 AM
  • I'm not entirely following your question.

If by "standalone", you mean, "a virtual machine not protected by failover clustering", then no. It is not supported to place VHDX files for a any non-HA virtual machine on a CSV. It does work, but the behavior is not entirely predictable and data loss is probable if something goes wrong.

If by "standalone", you mean, "installing SQL Server inside a single virtual machine that is in HA mode in a cluster", then yes. That is supported. So are guest SQL clusters.

For installation inside a virtual machine, the SQL version doesn't matter. Your version/edition combination will have an effect on whether or not Dynamic Memory will work as expected. Look that up directly for any particular version and edition that you have questions on if you intend to use Dynamic Memory.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 4:23 PM