Track Changes RRS feed

• Question

• In our office we use "track changes" in Word 2010 but our boss doesn't want others to see the different colors (author) when changes are made - he only wants there to shown one author - there are two of us in the office and we both make changes to the same documents.  How do I make this happen?
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 9:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As far as my knowledge, this couldn't be accomplished. Once we turn on the track changes, it will track the all changes of this document(include username who modified the document).

We can disable the "Ink" to disable different colors:

1. On the Review tab, in the Tracking group, click the arrow next to Show Markup.

2. Make sure a check mark appears next to each of the following items:

• Comments
    • Ink
    • Insertions and Deletions
    • Formatting
    • Reviewers

3. Unchecked the "Ink" option

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, September 17, 2013 1:18 AM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as my knowledge, this couldn't be accomplished. Once we turn on the track changes, it will track the all changes of this document(include username who modified the document).

We can disable the "Ink" to disable different colors:

1. On the Review tab, in the Tracking group, click the arrow next to Show Markup.

2. Make sure a check mark appears next to each of the following items:

• Comments
    • Ink
    • Insertions and Deletions
    • Formatting
    • Reviewers

3. Unchecked the "Ink" option

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, September 17, 2013 1:18 AM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:39 AM
  • I found a solution to this problem:

Use Compare Documents to merge the original (pre-edits) with the edited version.

After the compare, there will be only 1 author an therefore only 1 color for the track changes.

Friday, June 5, 2020 1:04 PM
  • I found a solution to this problem:

Use Compare Documents to merge the original (pre-edits) with the edited version.

After the compare, there will be only 1 author an therefore only 1 color for the track changes.

Another way would be to scrub personal data and file properties from the document by running the Document Inspector (File > Info > Check for Issues > Inspect Document). Be sure to remove only "Document properties and personal information"; afterwards, revisions and comments would be attributed to the generic "Author" user, when the document is saved and reopened.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Saturday, June 6, 2020 11:43 AM