Disable creation of Sharepoint groups in MOSS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

is there a way to disable creation of Sharepoint groups? I only want to use AD groups. Can this be done via configuration or only by coding?

Thanks

Sven

Friday, February 3, 2012 1:58 PM

Answers

• Agree this process will disable the Group Creation feature but you cannot have a SharePoint site without any group.

I tried the above steps which disables the Group Creation, but when i create a new Sub Site withtin the same site, and select unique Permission so still you need to provide the New Group Information.

So once you have SP Group created you can add AD User/Group to the SP Group and then you can disabled Group Creation.

Thanks
    Akhilesh Nirapure
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Friday, February 10, 2012 7:42 AM
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 6:58 AM

All replies

• Sven,

You cannot.

Can you please explain why you need such kind of functionality, is the something that you don't allow users to create un-necessary groups??

well this can be handled by setting/provding appropriate permissions to users.

Let us know more, if you need further help on setting permissions

Thanks
    Akhilesh Nirapure
    Friday, February 3, 2012 6:05 PM
  • Hi Sven,

Thourgh default permission levels you can't achieve that. However you can create custom permission level and remove "Create Groups Permissions" from the site permissions section. See the below blog post for details.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mediumbusiness/archive/2011/09/23/create-custom-permissions-for-sharepoint.aspx

Hope this helps!

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, February 8, 2012 7:08 PM sig removed asks people to marks posts as answers
    Friday, February 3, 2012 6:27 PM
  • Things can be so easy, if you know how :)

Here are two solutions:

• In Central Administration
      Central Administration > Application Management > User Permissions for Web Application  
      Site Permissions > Create Groups => uncheck

check this blogpost for info about assigning base permissions

http://www.cjvandyk.com/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=744536f4-127e-4c4a-bcff-b85408e7e7e5&ID=225&Web=70a3e89c-d7de-44f0-9cd7-cf99e224b81a

• Edited by Sven W Friday, February 3, 2012 8:19 PM
    Friday, February 3, 2012 8:17 PM
  • Well, this organisation only wants permissions provided to AD users and AD groups.
    Friday, February 3, 2012 8:18 PM
  • Agree this process will disable the Group Creation feature but you cannot have a SharePoint site without any group.

I tried the above steps which disables the Group Creation, but when i create a new Sub Site withtin the same site, and select unique Permission so still you need to provide the New Group Information.

So once you have SP Group created you can add AD User/Group to the SP Group and then you can disabled Group Creation.

Thanks
    Akhilesh Nirapure
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Friday, February 10, 2012 7:42 AM
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 6:58 AM