none
DPM install with remote SQL instance and Reporting Services on different servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Currently we have the equivalent of the following server setup:

• SERVER-DPM: Dedicated server for dpm application deployment
    • SERVER-SQL: Dedicated server for stand-alone SQL Server instance with a named instance, "DPM"
    • SERVER-SSRS: Dedicated server for Reporting Services with a named instance, "DPM", using the above SERVER-SQL\DPM instance for its report server databases

This blog post seems to make an indication that having SQL and Reporting services on different server is possible:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2013/11/07/dpm-2012-r2-quickstart-deployment-guide.aspx

• On the Reporting Services Configuration – choose to Install and Configure. This will install and configure SRS to be active on this server, and use the default DBengine present to house the reporting server databases. This is the simplest configuration. If you install Reporting Services on a stand-alone (no DBEngine) server, you will need to configure this manually.

However when we come to the install DPM and provide the name of the SQL Instance SERVER_DPM\DPM, we get the following error that setup is unable to connect to the instance of SQL Server Reporting Services.

We have confirmed all of the requirements are met. However, I don't actually see how the setup could determine where reporting services is installed from the SQL instance name alone.

Is having reporting services on a different server from the SQL engine an supported or unsupported scenario?

Thanks

• Edited by ppejovic Friday, December 4, 2015 8:57 AM
    Friday, December 4, 2015 2:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I guess the SERVER_DPM\DPM is a fictional name but be sure there is no underscore in the SQL-server computer name or the SQL-instance name this can cause the installation to fail with the error message you posted.

Supported and unsupported scenarios in DPM

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

Friday, December 4, 2015 7:43 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Markus. Yes, these are fictional names and the actual servers do not have underscores. I have modified the question accordingly. An unfortunate choice of pseudonym on my part!
    Friday, December 4, 2015 8:59 AM