none
Post-Platform User Agent String and IE11 F12 User Agent String Change RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have a custom User Agent String defined on our clients. When I change IE9 to Compatibility Mode (over F12 Developer Toolbar), the User Agent String changed and the custom definied token stayed.

When I change the User Agent String in IE11 (e.g. to IE9) over F12, the custom definied User Agent String is removed.

Is this by default and is there another way to change the user agent string for troubleshooting but keep the custom definied token?

Regards,

Stephan

Thursday, August 6, 2015 1:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

no.. you have to add the custom token to both the x86 and x64 registry nodes. Using userAgent sniffing is not Best Practices however. I highly recommend that you do not use it, also your ActiveX controls or plugable protocols should not use version sniffing from either the IE version vector or the iexplore.exe. Your long term strategy should be towards addons and plugins free browsing wih html5 and native support in the OS.

To detect the presence of an ActiveX control on a client you can user new ActiveXControl ('clsid'). As well Enhanced protected mode IE9 also introduced ActiveX filtering which blocks ActiveX controls from loading (see Tools>ActiveX filtering), so you have to feature test both for bitness and if new ActiveXcontrol('clsid')... you should distribute both x86 and x64 versions of your ActiveX controls (for public websites). By default EPM is turned off for the Trusted and Intanet zones.

You can determine the bitness of a website frame by typing

navigator.platform

in the Dev tools console or examining the UAS for the win64 token.

Is there any reason why you have not yet upgraded to IE11? Please see

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/04/02/stay-up-to-date-with-enterprise-mode-for-internet-explorer-11.aspx

Post questions about html, css and scripting for website development to

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/home?forum=iewebdevelopment&prof=required

Include with your questions a link to your website or a mashup (jsfiddle) that shows the issue.

If it relates to an intranet site then you may like to arrange a support ticket with a MS Engineer from support.microsoft.com.

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Friday, August 7, 2015 1:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

no.. you have to add the custom token to both the x86 and x64 registry nodes. Using userAgent sniffing is not Best Practices however. I highly recommend that you do not use it, also your ActiveX controls or plugable protocols should not use version sniffing from either the IE version vector or the iexplore.exe. Your long term strategy should be towards addons and plugins free browsing wih html5 and native support in the OS.

To detect the presence of an ActiveX control on a client you can user new ActiveXControl ('clsid'). As well Enhanced protected mode IE9 also introduced ActiveX filtering which blocks ActiveX controls from loading (see Tools>ActiveX filtering), so you have to feature test both for bitness and if new ActiveXcontrol('clsid')... you should distribute both x86 and x64 versions of your ActiveX controls (for public websites). By default EPM is turned off for the Trusted and Intanet zones.

You can determine the bitness of a website frame by typing

navigator.platform

in the Dev tools console or examining the UAS for the win64 token.

Is there any reason why you have not yet upgraded to IE11? Please see

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/04/02/stay-up-to-date-with-enterprise-mode-for-internet-explorer-11.aspx

Post questions about html, css and scripting for website development to

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/home?forum=iewebdevelopment&prof=required

Include with your questions a link to your website or a mashup (jsfiddle) that shows the issue.

If it relates to an intranet site then you may like to arrange a support ticket with a MS Engineer from support.microsoft.com.

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Friday, August 7, 2015 1:35 AM
  • Thanks Rob. I think we misunderstood us. With "clients" I mean our Windows 7 OS where we have set a String here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent\Post Platform

This Token is needed by our proxy server to allow outgoing traffic or not, if it's missing. And this is working properly also in IE11, beside if we have to change the User Agent String in the Developer Toolbar for Troubleshooting reasons. Even if I set the token in the WoW6432Node, it does not work.

We are currently upgrading from IE9 to IE11 until end of the year.

Regards

Friday, August 7, 2015 10:16 AM
  • Hi stesch,

yes... you have to also add the proxy pass-through token to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent\Post Platform

On Win7/IE11 domains which map to the IE Internet Security zone by default use a 64 bit frame process (see Internet Options>Security tab, Internet zone, "Enabled protected mode")... this prevents legacy 32bit activeX controls and java applets from running by default in the Internet zone sites. Being a 64 bit process IE will look in the above Wow6432Node for any PostPlatform tokens.

On Win8x/IE11, the Internet zone is allowed to run 32bit controls by default, (even though Internet Options still shows EPM as checked)

Regards.

Rob^_^

Saturday, August 8, 2015 2:09 AM
  • Thanks Rob.

I just opened a call at Microsoft and they told me that this function is not available anymore in IE11. Alternatives are to use Compatibility View or Enterprise Mode Site List. But just for a quick test with the Developer Tools, the Custom User Agent string is not appended.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 10:39 AM