none
iOS app crashes on startup RRS feed

• Question

• The iOS app disappears at startup. Consequentially I cannot use it at all. When I double click on the button to see all the active apps I can see a static bitmap (none of the clocks are moving) but if I click on the app to make it the active app it zooms to full screen and then disappears. Help, I need to authenticate but cannot use this app any longer.

Andrew

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 11:04 AM

Answers

• I had the same problem and can confirm V5.2.3 (currently in Beta) fixed this for me (without loosing any of my existing accounts). I guess you'll have to wait for it to be released or ask to be added to the beta test program.

Andrew

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 4:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Andrew,

I'm able to install the authenticator app on my phone without problems, my version is 10.2.1, and app version is 5.1.4.

What is the version of your phone? Does the Authenticator download from app store?

Maybe we can try to update the phone OS, and re-install the app.

Best regards,

Jason

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 9, 2017 8:54 AM
  • I have the same iOS and App version as you. I already have the App installed so I've not needed to try downloading from the App store.

Andrew

Thursday, March 9, 2017 8:58 AM
  • Andrew, 

Sincere apologies that you're encountering this issue. I can give you some details on what happened, and how you may be able to get out of the situation. 

On March 7, there was a widespread outage of service for our Microsoft accounts (MSA) which provides authentication to services like XBOX, Outlook, Skype, etc. (it was covered in the press.) The iOS app started receiving notifications of crashes at the same time interval. It appears that in some cases, due to the MSA outage, null account access tokens were being returned. Unfortunately, our app did not account for this (very rare) case, and thus the crash. 

We have confirmation that, IF you can get the app to stop crashing (you may have to uninstall/reinstall, unfortunately), when you go to add Add Account, choose Personal Account, and then choose Add New Account (do NOT select any accounts that may pre-populate a list), then your verification experience will be restored. 

If that does not work for you, please go into Help & Feedback in the app, and Send Logs. 

We are readying a fix to address the null token issue, it will come out in a near-future release. 

Thanks for patience, for reporting the issue, and for using Microsoft Authenticator,

--Libby

Thursday, March 9, 2017 7:52 PM
  • We have confirmation that, IF you can get the app to stop crashing (you may have to uninstall/reinstall, unfortunately), when you go to add Add Account, choose Personal Account, and then choose Add New Account (do NOT select any accounts that may pre-populate a list), then your verification experience will be restored. 

If I uninstall/reinstall the app will it loose all my existing accounts (some are non-Microsoft accounts) or will they be retained once the app is reinstalled?

Andrew

Thursday, March 9, 2017 8:12 PM
  • No, unfortunately, they would be lost, so you need to have a backup method of accessing, to re-set them up. 
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 8:14 PM
  • Do you have any plans to release an update to the App which will prevent me from having to re-register all my accounts?
    Friday, March 10, 2017 9:01 AM
  • We have a fix in our Beta program through Apple Testflight. Please send your AppleID to msauthenticator @ microsoft . com, and I will add you.  
    Friday, March 10, 2017 6:42 PM
  • I have the same problem, and yes this started during the MSA issue earlier this week.  Assuming I could join the beta too, how difficult is it to get out? :)
    Friday, March 10, 2017 9:08 PM
  • Easy-peasy. It's as simple as choosing "stop testing" from the Test Flight app (Apple's way of managing the Beta access.) 

We try hard to make sure that the Beta app we ship to our Test Flight users is as close to production-ready as we can get, but there are just some validation scenarios that we only see with higher external traffic, so you may see a few “bug fix” iterations come through the Beta that you won’t see in the Public version, but (knock on wood) we haven’t shipped a breaking bug to Beta users in the past 9 months.

In the meantime, if you are able, please do go into Help & feedback and Send logs, we are trying hard to make sure our fix works for everyone still impacted. 

Friday, March 10, 2017 11:55 PM
  • I can't get the app to open. I've uninstalled/reinstalled and it still crashes at startup, so I can't execute this fix--or sign into my several Microsoft accounts (including my @microsoft.com account). Please help. :(
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 4:19 PM
  • I had the same problem and can confirm V5.2.3 (currently in Beta) fixed this for me (without loosing any of my existing accounts). I guess you'll have to wait for it to be released or ask to be added to the beta test program.

Andrew

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 4:24 PM
  • Thanks, I submitted my request. About how long did it take you to get added?
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 7:05 PM
  • Libby, who commented above, kindly added me in a few hours. I hope it fixes it for you too.

Andrew

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 7:08 PM
  • Jeremy, 

I've added you -- please keep an eye out for an email from Test Flight (Apple's way of managing Beta app versions.)  

Andrew, 

Thanks for the assist! :)

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 7:20 PM
  • I'm getting the same issue, but I'm unable to change any details I have reinstalled the app, restored phone from backup three time. I have tried to click cancel while the app is attempting to load all to no avail. Are you any closer to a fix? There have been two updates since this has been happening but this has still not corrected my issue. Jase
    Sunday, April 30, 2017 9:10 AM
  • Could you please describe the issue you're experiencing, in more detail?

Do you have the latest version of the app? (Help in the menu, under the About heading) It should be 5.3.3. 

If so, could you please, also in the Help menu, then choose Send Logs and post the Incident ID back here? 

Or, are you unable to open the app at all? What happens when you uninstall the app, reboot, then re-install the app? Are you able to add your account(s)?  

Monday, May 1, 2017 7:54 PM