none
Prevent Time Entry in Project Server 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want hide tasks for a user in a particular project. Is it possible? 

Or

Is it possible to hide entire project to be invisible for a resource? If yes, please let me know the process.

Thank you,

Siva Chaitanya.

Siva Chaitanya

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 12:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Siva,

In MS Project, insert the column Publish and set it to No for the tasks that you don't want resources to see. 

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 12:07 PM
  • Hi Siva,

Do you want to hide the task from the Project Center, the task page, the timesheet page? By default, you cannot hide a specific task, but you can always not publish a task, you can set an assignment to proposed versus commited.

If you want to hide the entire project, then you should use the security model (assuming you are using the Project Server permission mode) with the groups and categories, eventually the RBS.

This is quite a complete feature to explain, please detail more your need (hide the task, the assignment, the project? for one specific user, for a group of user? is it an exception or a regular need?)

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 12:12 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Thank you so much for the quick revert.

What if I want to prevent the task entry for a single resource? Could you please clarify?

Because, your answer sounds like as if I want to disable the task for all the resources assigned to a particular task.

I want to do it for a single resource in that particular task.

Please suggest.

Thank you,

Siva Chaitanya.

Siva Chaitanya

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 12:13 PM
  • Hi Siva,

If you set the "publish" column to NO for the given task, it will not be published, thus the resource will not see it nor will be able to submit any updates on it. You can also set the booking type to proposed instead of committed, it will have the same impact. But note that if you have many resources of the given tasks, those parameters are at task level, not assignments, thus it will prevent all resources to see/update the task.

So your simplest solution would be:

• not to assign the resource on the task and enter his name for information only in the contact column,
    • assign a local resource on the task (generally not adviced but could do the job in your case),
    • split the task to assign only the given resource on the task and set it to publish NO.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 12:25 PM
  • Siva:

You can change the assignment owner for the assignment to the specific resource so that it displays on a different task page.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Friday, June 10, 2016 7:36 PM