ProClarity Web Professional/Download manager issues RRS feed

• Question

• We are trying to download ProClarity Web Professional onto users computers.  I understand that the users will need admin access to do this.  Some people have been successful installing using the admin account on their PCs, while others have not been.  I have asked them to disable popup blockers and windows firewall temporarily, and this has not resolved the problem.

On the particular computer I am working on:

In IE, I click "Check for Downloads".  The Download Components window appears.  When I click "Install Download Manager", another window flashes open for a brief moment, and then closes.  The Download Components box reads "Please wait" and then gives the following error:

The Download Manager could not be installed on this computer.

Please try the following:

• Log off Windows, and log in again as an Administrator. 

• Contact the web site administrator to resolve this issue. 

• Use the Standard application, which does not require the Download Manager. 

Using Mozilla: Check for Downloads - Click "Install Download Manager".  Same window changed to "Download Now" button.  Clicked "Download Now", chose "Install Now", received following error:

Firefox could not install the file at

http://(server)/pas/en/bin/NPDM.xpi

Because: Download error -228

Three users have successfully downloaded, so I am assuming everything is configured properly on the PAS server.

I would like to do this using the Download Manager rather than copying files down to computers and manually running them.

Thanks.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 3:53 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can deploy the ProClarityCtrls.exe directly, as it is the actual install for the ProClarity Web Pro.  However, without the download manager, users will not be able to get automatic updates distributed from PAS, such as Web Pro hotfixes, for example.

Another option you might try is distributing the PDownloadManager.dll.  That file is located on the server, and can be copied and registered on the client manually, if so desired.

Saturday, July 19, 2008 12:13 AM
  •  

Hi Kole,

For ProClarity Professional users: 

-ProClarityCtrls.exe is the actual install for ProClarity Web Pro

-PDownloadManager.dll is the dll for Download Manager and can be copied and registered on the client manually.  As mentioned above, this is necessary for hotfixes.

For ProClarity Standard: Users need to have proper access (via Admin tool) however I do not believe any download is needed.  Our users (who all have Web Pro access) can see Standard even before they download.

Lisa

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 6:12 PM

All replies

• HI Lisa LRB, you can try adding the  url of the PAS to the trusted sites on the IE. Another thing you can check, is that sometimes the IE toolbars (such as google's, yahoo's or whatever) gives trouble the first time (and only time) the manager needs to be installed, so you can try removing them.

This had worked for me, hope works for you,

regards,

Friday, July 11, 2008 12:28 AM
  • What version of ProClarity Analytics Server and ProClarity Web Pro are you trying to install?  Also, what browser and what version?

-Joey

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:54 PM
  •  

We are using ProClarity 6.3 and IE 6.0.

We did try adding the PAS server to trusted sites.  That helped on my PC (I am offsite, VPN-ed in), but did not help the PCs onsite.

Is it possible to bypass the download manager and just push the PROCLARITYCTRLS.exe to the users' PCs?  Do they need download manager in order to use WebPro without any add-ons?

Thanks,

Lisa

Thursday, July 17, 2008 1:08 PM
  • Yes, you can deploy the ProClarityCtrls.exe directly, as it is the actual install for the ProClarity Web Pro.  However, without the download manager, users will not be able to get automatic updates distributed from PAS, such as Web Pro hotfixes, for example.

Another option you might try is distributing the PDownloadManager.dll.  That file is located on the server, and can be copied and registered on the client manually, if so desired.

Saturday, July 19, 2008 12:13 AM
  • We have a similar situation where we will need to distribute the Proclarity controls manually due to a lack of admin access for most of our users.  However, the majority of these users will be licensed to use Proclarity Standard, not Professional.  Can someone confirm the filename of the executable I need to distribute to these users?  Thank you in advance...

Kole

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:22 PM
  •  

Hi Kole,

For ProClarity Professional users: 

-ProClarityCtrls.exe is the actual install for ProClarity Web Pro

-PDownloadManager.dll is the dll for Download Manager and can be copied and registered on the client manually.  As mentioned above, this is necessary for hotfixes.

For ProClarity Standard: Users need to have proper access (via Admin tool) however I do not believe any download is needed.  Our users (who all have Web Pro access) can see Standard even before they download.

Lisa

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 6:12 PM
  • Lisa is correct, Standard client is thin so users just need access to the site and authorization to the ProClarity content published to ProClarity Analytics Server.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:58 PM
  •  

I hope this helps for those also having download manager blues. Downlaod Manager error happend to us too. Then we discovered that in addition to disableing the pop bloackers and all the other things Microsoft is telling you to do you need to change one more  IE setting

Tools>Internet Options> Security Tab> Custom Level  then scroll to the Downloads section right after Active X section and make sure the first one "Autamatic pronpting for file downloads" is "enabled"

Cheers

Ali 

Thursday, August 14, 2008 8:55 PM
  • Understanding the degraded upgrade capability, is it possible to disable the download manager altogether so that once a user has the Web Pro code installed locally they never have to see the Download Manager?

I have manually installed the .exe and associated Web Pro software locally and do not wish to receive upgrades from the PAS server.  I also wish to not have users see the Download Manager prompt.  They should not need the download manager since the code is already installed.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance,

TC

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 5:32 PM
  • TC,

As we discussed, you can use distributed the DownloadManager.exe with the Web Pro exe in a package and this will register the PDownloadManager.dll in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\ProClarity\Server folder by default.  This should prevent users from being prompted to download the manager or Web Pro.  The DownloadManager.exe is in the package with PAS install files.

-Joey

Thursday, September 11, 2008 10:40 PM