Icons on taskbar change when run as a different user RRS feed

• Question

• I use my desktop as my primary admin station and so I run all of my admin related tools as a different user (my domain admin account). The annoying thing is that anything that uses the MMC defaults to the generic icon when I do this. It's a problem because i will have 3, 4, 5 of these open on my taskbar and I can't tell which is which without clicking/hovering it.

To clarify, if i pin Exchange System Manager to the taskbar and just click on it, it opens and that's it. If i "run as" and put in my domain admin account it spawns a 2nd taskbar icon (doesn't use the pinned one) and it has the generic red toolbox icon. anyone know a way around this annoyance?

Friday, April 9, 2010 4:47 PM

All replies

• I too have this same problem.
    I had a working solution until recently when it stopped working

1. Copy c:\windows\system32\mmc.exe for each console you are going to use run as on (I have mmcex.exe for echange, mmcad.exe for AD tools, etc)
    2. Use IconInjector to replace the icon of your copied mmc.exe with an appropriate one for the tool.
    3. Create a shortcut to (for example): %SystemRoot%\System32\runas.exe /user:domain\adminacct /savecred "%SystemRoot%\System32\mmcad.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\dsa.msc"
    4. Launch shortcut, appropriate mmc console starts with admin privileges, and displays correct icon on taskbar
    However recently my copied mmc.exe files stopped working, they don't launch, no errors, no running process, just nothing.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 9:26 AM
  • Yep, exact same complaint here, looks like no fix for it yet.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:01 PM
  • Do a system cleanup.

Remove any unwanted system notifications by simplying hiding them.

Professional In Computing - Please Contact for Help. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 4:01 AM