none
Hyper 2012 R2 - Adding a new hdd - Formating the hdd in Windows takes eternity

Question

• Hi folks!

I've just added a 40 GB second hdd to a test system via Hyper-V. Now i wanted to format the disk (giving also a new letter) in diskmgmt.msc . Curiously it lasted 3 hours to format this small disk. I'm quite new to hyper-v but still...VMware vSphere takes 3 seconds to do so in virtual machines. What is different in this case or am i doing something wrong? Please help.

Friday, August 10, 2018 10:04 AM

All replies

• Something is strange here.  Formatting a disk is a quick process under Windows, Hyper-V, or ESX.

Are you formatting a physical disk or a virtual disk?  If a virtual disk, are you formatting it under the host OS or within the VM?  What operating system versions are in play?

tim

Friday, August 10, 2018 12:56 PM
  • Hi,

i'm formating a virtual disk (SCSI) in Windows 20012 R2. So , in the OS client (within vm) directly. 

Tuesday, August 14, 2018 11:12 AM
  • Is the physical disk on which the virtual disk is stored local to the VM, i.e. the VM and the VHD are on the same host?

Is the VHD a dynamic disk or fixed disk?  Fixed will take longer because it has to allocate and write every block.  If the host disk is badly fragmented, that can take longer.

tim

Tuesday, August 14, 2018 1:13 PM