none
MSP2010 Viewing Free & Total Slack in Resource Usage View RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, is there a way that I can import the 'free slack' and 'total slack' fields so I am able to view them in the 'resource usage' table as this would massively help decision making to smooth resources???

Any help/suggestions would be massively appreciated. :0)

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 3:30 PM

All replies

• Ali Chiv,

The slack fields are task fields and are therefore not available directly when viewed as assignment fields in the Resource Usage view. You can however either copy them manually to extra assignment fields or use a macro to copy them over. Go to the MVP website at: http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm, and take a look at FAQ 37 - Custom fields in Views.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 3:42 PM
  • Ali,

I think you may like the Resource Allocation view.  (Right click on View Bar.  Select More Views.  Select Resource Allocation view.)

This is a split-view with Resource Usage view in upper pane and Leveling Gantt in lower pane.  The upper and lower pane are, of course, synced.  If you click on resource "Joe" in the upper pane, the lower pane will display all tasks using resource Joe.

In the lower pane, you can see Slack visually in the Gantt Chart.  You can also insert Slack columns into the grid in the lower pane.

This is a powerful view--somewhat underutilized, I would say.

• Edited by Edward Hanna Tuesday, October 22, 2013 4:52 PM Remove signature line
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 4:51 PM