Windows 10 issues after joining a domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a test machine and it ran perfect. I joined it to our domain and my start menu, search,  and all modernUI apps have stopped working.   They all worked fine before joining the domain.  I also fully updated windows and store apps prior to the domain join.   If I click store or edge it opens and closes within a few seconds.  Nothing at all happens with search or the start menu.  I get errors in the event log for each click.  Start menu provides events -

The server CortanaUI did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

and

Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI failed with error: The app didn't start. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what my policies may be changing to cause this?  I have tried A powershell script I found online as well as SFC scan.

Thank you.

Monday, August 24, 2015 5:52 PM

Answers

• In group policy manager, for my default domain policy I had a bunch of items in Computer -> policies -> Windows settings -> Security Settings -> Registry.   I removed every entry out of this folder.  I copied it first and put it in a new GP incase i found I needed them.  Also, in the File System folder I had entries for %programfiles%, %systemDirectory%, %systemroot%, and maybe one other.  I also copied these to the same new GP as before and then removed them all from default domain policy.   I have not found that I had any need for the removed entries as I have not applied the new GP anywhere.   End of day, I had no entries left in the registry or file system portion on the default domain policy.  I then had the reset or reinstall Windows 10 for it to work since removing these does not allow a PC to revert back to the permissions it had prior to the GP being applied.  Been running 10 for a few days now without any issues. Hope this helps. 
    • Marked as answer by Tlewis79 Tuesday, September 1, 2015 4:12 PM
    Monday, August 31, 2015 4:14 PM

All replies

• I'm wondering...

Have you set any domain policies that are blocking Microsoft Account or Microsoft Store access?

Kevin Remde US DX - IT Pro Evangelism - Microsoft Corporation http://aka.ms/FullofIT http://twitter.com/kevinremde

• Proposed as answer by Kevin Remde Wednesday, August 26, 2015 7:55 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Kevin Remde Monday, August 31, 2015 8:29 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Kevin Remde Monday, August 31, 2015 8:29 PM
    Monday, August 24, 2015 5:56 PM
  • We have not.  All permissions come from the default domain policy.  We never put windows 8 in production so never had any need to set anything at all for MS accounts or store.

Monday, August 24, 2015 6:23 PM
  • I had left over entries in my default domain policy from way back when it was server 2000 that I had to remove.  It was a couple file system permissions, I removed all of those.  And also a whole list of permissions being set for registry entries, also removed all of them.   Now everything works great on the domain.  
    Wednesday, August 26, 2015 6:32 PM
  • can you provide additional information that may help others that are having the same issues? it is not very clear as to what you did to solve this issue such as what were the permissions and where located in the policy. It would be much appreciated.
    Saturday, August 29, 2015 5:42 PM
  • Please show me the way you did, I have the same issues :(. Thanks,
    Monday, August 31, 2015 6:24 AM
  • In group policy manager, for my default domain policy I had a bunch of items in Computer -> policies -> Windows settings -> Security Settings -> Registry.   I removed every entry out of this folder.  I copied it first and put it in a new GP incase i found I needed them.  Also, in the File System folder I had entries for %programfiles%, %systemDirectory%, %systemroot%, and maybe one other.  I also copied these to the same new GP as before and then removed them all from default domain policy.   I have not found that I had any need for the removed entries as I have not applied the new GP anywhere.   End of day, I had no entries left in the registry or file system portion on the default domain policy.  I then had the reset or reinstall Windows 10 for it to work since removing these does not allow a PC to revert back to the permissions it had prior to the GP being applied.  Been running 10 for a few days now without any issues. Hope this helps. 
    • Marked as answer by Tlewis79 Tuesday, September 1, 2015 4:12 PM
    Monday, August 31, 2015 4:14 PM
  • See this TechNet thread:

Group Policy & Modern apps

You may need to install the Windows 10 .ADMX templates.

Please remember to: "Vote" if my response was helpful. "Mark As Answered" if I answered your question correctly. V/R, Darrick West - Senior Systems Engineer, ConfigMgr: OSD

• Edited by Darrick West Monday, August 31, 2015 5:19 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Darrick West Monday, August 31, 2015 5:19 PM
    Monday, August 31, 2015 5:17 PM
  • Tlewis79's  solution worked perfectly for me...thank you very much!!!
    Saturday, September 12, 2015 7:26 PM
  • That is worked perfectly for me. This problem has bothered me more than a couple of weeks. I tried all the way what I found from web but no luck, until to saw your solution. As your did I deleted all entries of Registry and File System from default domain policy, totally of three items in there, then reinstalled windows 10 and joined to the domain, finally everything smooth! However What I am thinking is why Windows 8.1 never experienced this issue but only 10?
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 1:45 PM
  • It worked mate!! Cheers for that!!! 
    Monday, April 9, 2018 9:16 AM