none
DPM 2010 and volumes over 2TB RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I've got an issue with backing up System State/BMR on file+print server that has 4 TB volume. Except from users' files the volume also contains WSUS and Kaspersky AV SQL databases which makes the volume to be "critical". When creating restore point for SS/BMR DPM 2010 fails and corresponding error appears in the fileserver application log: "Event 546... Cannot backup volume larger than 2 TB..." Well, i thought i will never hear this again after installing DPM 2010. I already implemented the crutch with editing BmrBackup.cmd (-allcritical to -include:C:), however it's a wrong way.

DPM agent has no problems with backing up such volumes, why use WB to create SS/BMR replica?

Valeriy Shevtsov, MCT
    Monday, May 16, 2011 5:02 AM

Answers

• DPM uses Windows Server Backup(WSB) to backup the BMR Backup and System State Backup. And WSB is bound by size limitation of VHD. Hence we are seeing this error.

Work around: Can you please try to move the applications which makes the >2TB volume to be critical to some other volume which is <2040 GB if possible and retry the backup, so that the >2TB volume is not reported as critical?

Thanks,

GeethaKrishna [MSFT]

/*As is provided without warranties and confers no rights*/

Saturday, May 28, 2011 10:42 AM