April Fools joke, Word Team? RRS feed

• Question

• I installed a large number of windows updates last night and this morning, and now all of my word documents (created in Word 2010) are saved as Word 2007 documents, and only open as read-only, converted documents. Even new files that I create in Word 2010 are being saved as Word 2007 documents, and open with the same issues. What gives? I have uninstalled all of the updates from yesterday, but the problem persists.
    Sunday, April 1, 2012 9:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Zeth,

Basically speaking, Word 2010 share the same format with Word 2007, since Office has introduced XML formal since Office 2007. Also they shared the same file name extensions, e.g., .docx, .docm, .dotm.

So, I want to make sure what do you mean Word 2007 format relative to Word 2010 format?

*************************************************************************************************

To investigate this issue, we installed all the updates on our test machines (Windows 7 32-bit & 64-bit, Windows XP), haven't been able to reproduce this behavior for now.

Also, we haven't got any similar report from other community members.

*************************************************************************************************

For your issue, please try the following methods to narrow down the root cause:

- Copy these documents to the other Computers, check if this behavior will be reproduced. (This will help to determine if this issue is on the Document side or on the Application side)

- In the impacted machine, please check if there have been any other specific modification has been made before this issue began, e.g., have you recently installed/removed/updated any applications?

- Try to run Word in safe mode to check if this behavior would still reproduce. (To do so, type WINWord.exe /safe in the Run window and press Enter key.)

- Try to run repair to repair Office 2010 and check this issue again

Let me know the result, thanks! Any questions, feel free to post back.

• Edited by Max Meng Thursday, April 5, 2012 2:43 PM format
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 9:15 AM
  • Just how does one "copy the files into the new Word 2010"?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 8:00 PM
  • See the article "How to re-register Word when problems crop up opening files” at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org

• Marked as answer by Jaynet Zhang Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:22 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jaynet Zhang Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:31 AM
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 8:01 PM
  • Hi, 
    Just checking in to see if the suggestions were helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Jaynet Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:35 AM