none
Out-of-box drivers - Printers RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

Are USB printer drivers excluded from the driver injection phase.  Every time I do a deployment and watch the driver injection phase I can never see it add the printer drivers, so obviously any attached printers need manual intervention to get them working.

I use the Advanced Configuration: Selection Profiles and Database settings.

The Out-of-box drivers structure is:

Out-of-box drivers
    ...Generic
    ......NVIDIA
    ......Brother
    ...Dell
    ......Vostro 230
    ......Vostro 270

I then have a selection profile called 'Dell Vostro 270', which has the 'Generic' folder and all subfolders ticked, as well as the Vostro 270 folder ticked. I then use Make and Model; Make = Dell, Inc. and Model = Vostro 270.  The settings for this Make and Model is set to have a Driver Selection Profile = Dell Vostro 270.

These PC's have an add-in NVIDIA card, whose driver is in the Generic\NVIDIA folder.  This driver works absolutely fine so driver selection profiles and what-not are fine.

It just does not seem to work with printer drivers.  I also have a Samsung printer driver (Generic\Samsung) and I cannot see that driver being injected either during driver injection phase.

Any ideas?

Thanks

PS:  Post-deployment, if I manually do right click > Update driver in Computer Management, then point it to \\servername\mdtshare\Out-of-box drivers\Printer it picks up and installs the driver, so the drivers themselves are sound.

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 1:14 PM

Answers

• "You can add the drivers and have them available for users"

I'm not sure I understand this.  If the drivers are available, how comes when I try to manually install the printer post-deployment it can't find the drivers - I have to point the driver wizard to a location where the drivers are.

Surely plug and play detection should know that a printer is connected, and know that the drivers have been injected, and therefore install the printer?

Why is a USB printer treated differently to any other USB device?

• Marked as answer by Lanky Doodle Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:28 PM
    Monday, December 29, 2014 3:36 PM

All replies