Out-of-box drivers - Printers RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

Are USB printer drivers excluded from the driver injection phase.  Every time I do a deployment and watch the driver injection phase I can never see it add the printer drivers, so obviously any attached printers need manual intervention to get them working.

I use the Advanced Configuration: Selection Profiles and Database settings.

The Out-of-box drivers structure is:

Out-of-box drivers
    ...Generic
    ......NVIDIA
    ......Brother
    ...Dell
    ......Vostro 230
    ......Vostro 270

I then have a selection profile called 'Dell Vostro 270', which has the 'Generic' folder and all subfolders ticked, as well as the Vostro 270 folder ticked. I then use Make and Model; Make = Dell, Inc. and Model = Vostro 270.  The settings for this Make and Model is set to have a Driver Selection Profile = Dell Vostro 270.

These PC's have an add-in NVIDIA card, whose driver is in the Generic\NVIDIA folder.  This driver works absolutely fine so driver selection profiles and what-not are fine.

It just does not seem to work with printer drivers.  I also have a Samsung printer driver (Generic\Samsung) and I cannot see that driver being injected either during driver injection phase.

Any ideas?

Thanks

PS:  Post-deployment, if I manually do right click > Update driver in Computer Management, then point it to \\servername\mdtshare\Out-of-box drivers\Printer it picks up and installs the driver, so the drivers themselves are sound.

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 1:14 PM

Answers

• "You can add the drivers and have them available for users"

I'm not sure I understand this.  If the drivers are available, how comes when I try to manually install the printer post-deployment it can't find the drivers - I have to point the driver wizard to a location where the drivers are.

Surely plug and play detection should know that a printer is connected, and know that the drivers have been injected, and therefore install the printer?

Why is a USB printer treated differently to any other USB device?

• Marked as answer by Lanky Doodle Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:28 PM
    Monday, December 29, 2014 3:36 PM

All replies

• Here's a post that should help you.  https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9781e749-307e-4371-a60b-ba6f1c1a6376/can-you-add-printers-and-printer-drivers-when-imaging-pcs-using-mdt-deployment-share?forum=mdt

You can add the drivers and have them available for users, but to actually install the printer you need to script it.

• Proposed as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Wednesday, December 24, 2014 5:41 PM
    Tuesday, December 23, 2014 5:32 PM
  • "You can add the drivers and have them available for users"

I'm not sure I understand this.  If the drivers are available, how comes when I try to manually install the printer post-deployment it can't find the drivers - I have to point the driver wizard to a location where the drivers are.

Surely plug and play detection should know that a printer is connected, and know that the drivers have been injected, and therefore install the printer?

Why is a USB printer treated differently to any other USB device?

• Marked as answer by Lanky Doodle Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:28 PM
    Monday, December 29, 2014 3:36 PM
  • Because printers need a printer port assigned to the device as well as device drivers linked to that printer port...  This changes on every deployment and isn't static, and network/policy printers can complicate this even more.  I recommend you read up on printer deployment in an enterprise environment. 

Article on deploying printers in an enterprise - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754699.aspx

Article on automated network printer deployment - http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/45529/install-network-printers-via-batch-file-or-command-line-in-windows-78-and-server-2008/

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 5:06 PM
  • The problem is that although PnP is "smart" at detecting devices, it's not *THAT* smart.
    It's entirely possible that you might have a Multi-Function printer that requires a root driver to see the rest of the devices connected within the Device, Since the driver hasn't bee fully loaded yet, MDT can't see that there other drivers down stream so it might not load them into the c:\drivers directory. The NetExtreme network driver is a classic example of this, and won't load on WinPE in some scenarios.
    Best to look at the pnpenum.xml file to see if the device was or was not enumerated and compare it to the device you selected for install during manual install.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 9:34 PM