Shutdown/Restart hangs most of the time RRS feed

• General discussion

• Running Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 32-bit on a Dell Latitude E6410. I am a member of a domain, but connect to it via VPN. I’m always disconnected from the VPN when I’m ready to restart.

For some time now, virtually every time I try to shutdown or restart, Windows hangs with my wallpaper showing. I would give it a few minutes, then hard power down. Today I decided to let it run in that state to see if it would ever shut down. I timed it, and at a little past six minutes it did shut down. When it restarted, I looked at the Event Viewer. I found at about 6:47 after the restart request, there was Event ID 6006, Winlogon: The winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> took 390 seconds to handle the notification event (EndShell). The event data showed GPClient, 390, EndShell, D007A300. The next event logged was Event ID 9009, The Desktop Window Manager has exited with code (0x40010004).

With this data in mind, I killed the process tree for DWM.EXE (and it didn’t disappear, so I did it a second time, which killed it). Then I requested a restart, and it restarted immediately. I repeated this process several times, enough to prove to me that DWM is the problem.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Rich G

• Changed type Cloud_TS Friday, January 4, 2013 9:16 AM wrong forum
    Monday, December 31, 2012 6:39 AM

All replies

• Please upload and share copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your Sky Drive and post a link here.

To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Monday, December 31, 2012 1:38 PM
  • Both in zip file "Event Logs 1" at https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=19C8D3791FD19B14!121&authkey=!AEUj0lhnBCshFFw . The request to restart/shutdown was on 30 Dec 2012 at ~18:46:00. Ultimately it closed down at ~18:52.

Rich G

Monday, December 31, 2012 8:29 PM
  • Rich

You should be posting your question to the Windows  Networking Forum. All the errors in the System log relate to the Domain and Group Policy.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Tuesday, January 1, 2013 5:52 PM
  • OK, doing so. Thanks.

Rich G

Tuesday, January 1, 2013 7:10 PM