Help migrating DPM data with MigrateDataSourceDataFromDPM.ps1 RRS feed

• Question

• DPM 2012

Migrating data from 7tb volume to 11tb volume. The 7tb volume was full and contained a few inactive protection groups. The 11tb volume already contained a number of protection data sources on it but it still had around 8.5tb unallocated. I ran the data migration script shown below and it ran for a couple hours before completing with errors. Now, the 7tb volume has like 40% unallocated and the 11tb volume is showing %25 unallocated. How can I check where all the data is stored now and verify how much was moved?

Here's the commands that i ran...

------------------------------------------------------------------

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> $disk

Name          DiskStatus        NtDiskId TotalCapacit UnallocatedS DiskTypeLabe

yLabel    paceLabel l

----          ----------        -------- ------------ ------------ ------------

DELL PERC ... Healthy                  1      7449 GB         0 GB Dynamic

DELL PERC ... Healthy                  2     11175 GB      8475 GB Dynamic

./migratedatasourc

edatafromdpm.ps1 -dpmservername hcbackup -source $disk[0] -destination $disk[1]

------------------------------------------------------------------

It ran about 2hrs and generated the following errors....

WARNING:  Migration of inactive protection group is not supported

WARNING:  Migration of inactive protection group is not supported

Set-ProtectionGroup : The operation failed due to a virtual disk service error

(ID: 360)

Retry the operation.

At C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center

2012\DPM\DPM\bin\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1:111 char:3

+         Set-ProtectionGroup $mpg

+         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-DPMProtectionGroup], DlsE

xception

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : VdsError,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dl

s.UI.Cmdlet.ProtectionCmdLets.CommitProtectionGroup

Retry the operation.

xception

Retry the operation.

xception

Retry the operation.

xception

Remove-DPMDisk : Disk 1 cannot be removed from the storage pool because it

contains storage pool volumes. (ID: 355)

2012\DPM\DPM\bin\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1:113 char:2

+     Remove-DPMDisk $Source

+     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Remove-DPMDisk], InvalidDiskE

xception

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DiskContainsSpmVolumes,Microsoft.Internal.Enterp

riseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.RemoveDPMDisk

Monday, September 23, 2013 6:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When you click on Disk1 in the DPM Storage pool, it will list which data source(s) that still has space allocated on that disk that has not been migrated.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by tallcann Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:28 PM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 10:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When you click on Disk1 in the DPM Storage pool, it will list which data source(s) that still has space allocated on that disk that has not been migrated.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by tallcann Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:28 PM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 10:48 PM
  • This was exactly what I needed. thank you!!
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:28 PM
  • Just to close this one out a bit better....

it turned out that the migration did work properly, and the errors must have had something to do with the fact that I had several 'inactive protection' members on the volume which could not be migrated. Mike's tip above helped me find out which data sources those were and i just went and deleted them since I no longer needed them. After I did that, the disk in DPM now allowed me to right click it and choose 'remove', which removed the disk from the DPM console. Exactly what i was trying to do.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 8:25 PM