none
Hyper-V Backkups RRS feed

• Question

• Now that I have the bulk of my DPM 2010 clients configured, I have a question.  I have installed DPM on a Virtual Machine and can’t install Hyper-v as per the restrictions of DPM.  I have no item level recovery of the VM’s from the Hyper-V host.   So, if I install agents on the Hyper V host and on the VM’s, is the data duplicated or does Single instance Store (SIS) recognizes that it’s the same data? 

Thursday, September 23, 2010 2:26 AM

Answers

• Hi

Regarding the agents installed on the host or the guest it works like this.

Guest: You install the agents on the guest if you got a Microsoft workload like SQL, Echange, SharePoint etc. that you want to backup. Doing this you will be able to preform backup/restore of THAT workload.

Host: You install the agent on the host if you want to backup the VHD file of a virtual server. a new feature in DPM2010 is that you can preform a ILR (Item Level Restore) on the virtual server. This is ONLY flat files (files like word documents etc.) NOT workloads like SQL or Sharepoint etc.

I hope this answers your question. If you got any further questions please post them =)

Regarding the SIS component it only functions for Exchange and storage server. 

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:09 AM