none
how do I display the Budget Costs of budgeted work? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello;

I want to know the budgeted cost of a project. Is this possible in project server 2010?

I have costs from suppliers and costs for work resources.

I have created generic budget resources for my various costs and various work reources.

I know my budgeted costs of cost resources and can enter them in the project summary task 'Task Usage' view.

I know the 'budget work' of my work resources and can enter them in the project summary task 'Task Usage' view.

Now I have create a custom field for to track the hourly rate of work resources (as weirdly Project server will not let me enter it for budget resources - why??).

I want to know the budgeted cost of my work.

Is this simple to do in MSP - my PM team will be aghast if they need to revert back to Excel for calculating budgeted cost.

I need to know the budgeted costs of the budgeted work - I need a grand total.

Andrew

Trying to stop the swap to Salesforce - but the errors keep a coming

Thursday, January 2, 2014 1:17 PM

All replies

• Andrew --

In your situation, I would not recommend using a Budget Work resource, as I believe that is the source of your problem.  Instead, you will need to enter a Standard Rate for every Work resource in your project team.  And then you will need to assign one or more resources to each regular task (non-summary tasks) in your project and assign each resource to how much Work the resource will perform on the task.  Once you have staffed all tasks in the project, the Cost column will show you the total amount of Cost for all planned Work in the project.

Also, I would recommend you remove the Budget Work resources from your project.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, January 2, 2014 2:15 PM
  • Hi Dale;

The pilot has proved that people will not do this at the pre-sale stage. It takes too long for them to do at an early stage to generate quick quotes. I need them to be able to plan budgeted hours to get costs as simply as possible - i.e. x hours of resource A, y hours of resource B etc; else they will not use Project Server and revert back to Excel spread sheets.

The goal is to use Project Server to hold all the project info. I also need to avoid double accounting; which there is a risk of here.

I want people to see easily the variance between budgeted work and actual work (or work) are. Budgeted work is simple enough to work with - and actual work is time sheeted.

PMs will at KO do as you suggest (based on project templates and team resources) - but I need to track somewhere what we have 'sold' i.e. the budgeted/modelled amount of work (tried to use baselines before but it's too time consuming splitting all the work out into the tasks).

But it will work using budget resources. The budgeted work is a perfect measure of what we modelled for the sale. But I need to generate a quote from the budget - the quote is simply the sum of (budgeted work x resource rate). it needs to be instant Project wide cost. I could make a report; but then the resistance would be they are in multiple systems: why not use Excel

So if I say use Excel to generate a quote (just to get hours x rate): the rekeying of that data into MS Project risks: not being done; done inaccurately; or most likely resistance to using Project Server. And I have to keep rates updated in both Excel and PS.

We really want all the Project Cost information in one place instantly available and for it to be adjusted and updated quickly.

The only thing I can think of is to create Custom project fields named as: budget work resources and budget cost resources also create some project calculated fields for both and create a pdp page for them. This will receive some mockery from users, but will work - I think. Very inelegant though

Thursday, January 2, 2014 2:49 PM
  • To add to Dale's response, a couple options:

1) Third party tools that add financial governance (would be a bit overkill for this)

2) Do the rough calculations in Excel, and post the results to a budget resource.  You won't get all of the detail of the original estimate in Project, but it should be easy enough to throw the Excel sheet into the Project workspace.  You can also incorporate it into reporting using PowerPivot.

3) Develop estimates in a resource loaded schedule, and save the results as a baseline.  Then instead of budget cost, use baseline cost - and compare against Actuals.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Thursday, January 2, 2014 8:42 PM
  • Dale and Andrew;

Thanks for your responses: you input is extremely valuable.

I have experimented with a SP site Excel sheet and report but this felt like fragmenting critical project information.

So I have created all the budget resources as Custom Project fields of the type 'Number' where the creator of the project can input the number of hours. Interestingly the trying to make the field a duration value caused an issue (for me) as the inputter can choose their units of time and as different resources work different durations per day; I was lost how to get the calculated fields based on these to pick the correct rate (per-hour/per-day).

So - as Dale suggested - there are now no budgeted resources in plans; which will go down surprisingly well as there was a lot of forgetting to put budgeted costs into plans - because you have to expose the zeroth level task then swap views.

I also created many, many calculated fields to store the hours and the cost, sub totals of internal and external costs via resource calandars and grand totals etc.

Then simply created all the PDPs

Next step: how to get them in a report as they don't won't come in the OTB selection of OLAPs

Thanks for all your help; it is extremely appreciated.

Is there a reason MS Project does not allow you to have budgeted costs for work resource? It seems absurd you cannot do it.

Friday, January 3, 2014 9:41 AM
  • Seems like a lot of work to avoid big up front planning (BUFP).

FWIW, there're a couple of third party tools and reporting workarounds that will do the same. 

If you're willing to do BUFP, you can always use two different cost rates, one for external estimates, and one for internal estimates.  Then it's pretty easy to write a macro to capture the external estimate into a custom field, and toggle over to internal estimates to calculate the difference.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Friday, January 3, 2014 2:44 PM