none
MS Project: Summarize tasks in multiple places RRS feed

• Question

• I have a series of tasks that I am tracking % Completion against, and have them ordered by category.
    Ex.
    Fish
      Salmon
      Tilapia
      Halibut
    Meat
      Beef
      Chicken
      Pork

I can summarize by Fish and Meat, but if I wanted to also summarize by Dinner and Lunch, using the same tasks (no duplication for resource allocation), how can this be done?

Ex.
    Dinner
      Beef
      Salmon
    Lunch
      Chicken
      Tilapia
      Pork
      Halibut

Thanks!

Monday, September 24, 2012 3:25 PM

All replies

• Uncommon,

Your two structures are similar to summary/subtask structures in Project but as shown they appear to be mutually exclusive. I assume "salmon", "tilapia", "halibut", "beef", "chicken", and "pork" are "tasks". So what exactly are "Fish", "Meat", "dinner", and "lunch"? Are they text fields?

Without understanding your file structure a little bit better, I can only guess at some things that might help you organize your menu. Have you tried using Project's grouping feature? It might allow you to group your meal entries either by type (i.e. fish, meat) or meal (i.e. dinner, lunch).

John

Monday, September 24, 2012 4:02 PM
  • Uncommon,

You can use group by functionality and  perform the following steps:

1. Add a column named say Text1. Right click on header column named Text1.

2. Click on Custom fields.

3. In Custom fields, select Rename button and add a desired name in Rename field and click Ok.

4. Click on Lookup button and type "Dinner" in Row1 and "Lunch" in Row2 of Values field. Click Close. Click Ok.

5. Click On View tab| Select Group By drop down menu and select New Group by.

6. In Group definition dialog box type a desired name in Name field. In the Group By row below, select Text1 from the Field name column. Click Save.

7. In Text1 field, select Dinner or Lunch values  for the Tasks as required.

8. Click on Group By drop down menu and select the recently saved group name.

I hope this works.

Thanks and Regards, Roopkumar Kamat (MCITP)

Monday, September 24, 2012 4:18 PM