none
Multicasting with DFS-R RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

OKAY so I feel I live in these forums of late but small steps have been made with the help so far.

Scenario:

Server A Running MDT, WDS, WAIK. Subnet A. Site A.

Server B Running WDS only. Subnet B. Site B.

DFS-R is used to replicate from Server-A to Server-B

Yesterday I had an answer here by Keith http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0def3042-a413-46f3-8c0c-0fcc2cb48d9a/enabling-a-tried-and-working-method-of-multicast-autocast-on-a-wds-enabled-server?forum=mdt

I can now get multicasting running on a WDS server running on a remote site without MDT, however, a big HOWEVER, it will pull the multicast image over the WAN link saturating all the bandwidth.

If I disable the multicast and revert to unicast the logs clearly show the workstation at site B with only WDS Server will actually pull the Win7 image from the server with MDT and WDS "over the WAN" (Site A).

How can this be fixed?

Many thanks guys.

I am sure this is helping others too out there!

Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Graeme,

Thanks for your input - I didn't get an alert.

My customsettings.ini has a default gateway but only use that for Computer Location Name.

The bootstrap.ini comment is interesting The Default Gateway is there and in tact as per your example - The [Initialization] command is new to me. I have never used it nor never heard of it. I understand the theory here but not how this would be implemented...

The bootstrap.ini and comtomsettings.ini are both replicated using DFS-R not linked mode from my master server so cannot see how I would differ this bit.

This data would replicate as being the same at each site would it not?

"DeployRoot=\\SERVERA.domain.local\DeploymentShare$"

Thursday, April 3, 2014 5:19 PM

All replies

• Can I get some constructive feedback :)
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:32 PM
  • You gave everyone about an hour and a half to answer you before you asked for help... :-)

Two things to check:

In your CustomSettings.ini file, do you have DefaultGateway defined in your Priority section?

[Settings]
    Priority=DefaultGateway, Default

[DefaultGateway]
    192.168.1.1=SiteA
    192.168.200.1=SiteB

[SiteA]
    SLShare=...
    SLShareDynamicLoggging...

[SiteB]
    SLShare=...
    SLShareDynamicLoggging...

Secondly, what do you have listed in your bootstrap.ini folder?

[Settings]
    Priority=Initialization,DefaultGateway, Default

[Initialization]
    DeployRoot=\\SERVERA.domain.local\DeploymentShare$

[DefaultGateway]
    192.168.1.1=SiteA
    192.168.200.1=SiteB

[SiteA]
    DeployRoot=\\SERVERA.domain.local\DeploymentShare$

[SiteB]
    DeployRoot=\\SERVERB.domain.local\DeploymentShare$

As an FYI, you have to use the [Initialization] section to set a Default source.

If you make any change to bootstrap.ini, you will need to re-generate all boot files.

If you do this, you should be able to use your one boot image for any site, and new sites if you add the proper default gateway.

Sunday, March 30, 2014 1:49 AM
  • Hi Graeme,

Thanks for your input - I didn't get an alert.

My customsettings.ini has a default gateway but only use that for Computer Location Name.

The bootstrap.ini comment is interesting The Default Gateway is there and in tact as per your example - The [Initialization] command is new to me. I have never used it nor never heard of it. I understand the theory here but not how this would be implemented...

The bootstrap.ini and comtomsettings.ini are both replicated using DFS-R not linked mode from my master server so cannot see how I would differ this bit.

This data would replicate as being the same at each site would it not?

"DeployRoot=\\SERVERA.domain.local\DeploymentShare$"

Thursday, April 3, 2014 5:19 PM
  • I'm not following what is going on with the configuration here.

What does the bdd.log file say, you should be able to search for the string "deployroot" and see where it is being set. If you see that DeployRoot is being set to \\ServerA on the remote ServerB system then you should check to see where that is happening and why.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Thursday, April 3, 2014 9:09 PM
  • Hi guys,

I am testing this tonight and will report back my findings.

Kind Regards,

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:12 PM