none
DPM2010 not filling a tape before moving on. RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 protection groups.  One of them named fileserver has roughly 4TB of data to be written to tape on the weekend.  I am using a Powervault tl4000 with 4 LTO5 drives in it.  All protection groups are compressing data.  Every weekend when I do my backup to tape I get this same issue.  One tape has 1.8TB one has 1.89TB an the other has 450GB.  I am certain that this data can fit on two tapes if I am using compression.  I also have a protection group named production servers which has roughly 2.7 TB of data.  Shouldnt I be able to fit that on one tape instead of 1.66TB on one tape and 1 TB on another?

Any assitance or input on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Rich Kocielko

• Moved by MarcReynolds Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:00 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Monday, October 24, 2011 3:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• HI,

What kind of data are you backing up - LTO5 has capacity of 3 TB (assuming a 2:1 compression), and if the data isn't very compressable, then you won't achieve the 3TB capacity.  If you don't use the compression option, do you see only about 1.5TB written before changing tapes ?

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, October 28, 2011 5:00 AM
  • Housekeeping, closing old post. Open a new one if you will have have a need.
    Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 5:24 PM